Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an inexpensive harbor freight plastic welding kit and would like to try my hand at a few repairs. I would need to determine what plastic is used on the 88-92 gsxr models.

Here is whats in my kit. Which should I use?

Contents: (17) Gray PVC Plastic Rods, (17) Green PC PP Rods, (16) White PC ABS Rods
Weldable Material: PVC, PC PP, PC ABS

Thx

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,703 Posts
Don't know about the late 90's but nowadays the backside of plastic parts has the plastic type molded into it. MEK is useful in repairing ABS. Also search google for "repairing abs motorcycle fairings".

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
i just purchased a "plastex" repair kit for my damaged oem abs fairings. seems straight-forward, and i need to learn how to fix my own fairings.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,857 Posts
Make sure to test it on a discrete area, first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I had heard it should be indicated on the panel but I cannot find anything from back then.

Cost was minimal, so I'm going to give this a shot, but I'll bet I end up covering it with one of the many other repair substance I've used in the past.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Its ABS and the letters are molded into the fairings. Plastifix or plastex is chemical welding and works much better than heat welding; much easier to control and makes for cleaner joints.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Its ABS and the letters are molded into the fairings. Plastifix or plastex is chemical welding and works much better than heat welding; much easier to control and makes for cleaner joints.

i've heard good things about plastex, which is why i ordered it. will try it out in a few weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts