Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an 88 1100 front end on my 86 gixxer. I just installed racetech .85mm springs and plan to add gold valve emulators next.

I have had a couple of aluminum caps to seal the spot where the god ugly and useless anti dive units attach. However when I went to the bike shop to get my bike they said the caps can't be used because without the anti dive units the forks think they are always on and the forks have really no give. I was told the passge in the anti dive unit is necessary for the forks to work even if the things are not hooked up as mine are not. So I paid to have these nice aluminum caps without first finding out if this can be done. The shop here in Vancouver BC (Modern Motorcycling) said you I would have to reduce my spring rate and go to a lower weight fork oil, currently 15W.

Has anyone removed these things and can it be done without me having to buy new springs. The bike handles great now with the new springs matched to the rear fox shock. Help needed it woul look so much better without the anti dive units.

the ghoul

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Could you please fix your name. Go to profile and update the info.
Thanks

·
Banned
982 Posts
Yes they can!
This is what I did...
I made a aluminum plate the same shape as the opening after removing the unnessary anti-dive and welded it on...
Then sent out the forks to Lindemann Engineering for them to rebuild to work with all that mess taken off!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joey,

Right on I knew something could be done!! Check your email as I have some questions. Cost etc was it simple fix?? I want to get gold valve emulators but want to get the ugly anti dive units off first and have the forks operate properly.

Regarding "Modern Motorcycles" Diablo 187 I only speak with Brian the mechanic or Murray the owner, I agree others not much help besides Aaron.

Looking forward to shed the anti dive units if it is cheap enough.

Theghoul

·
Banned
982 Posts
It did'nt cost Me much,besides being I had to rebuild My forks anyway!
1)I cut and shaped the two aluminum plates myself,using a cut off wheel & sand paper.
2)Gave the plates and fork tubes to a friend who is an aircraft weld,who ran a nice bead all away around the plate.With no pin holes that may leak oil!

3)Then I triple chomeplated for looks
4)Finally,sending them to "Lindemann Engineering" in California,for the rebuild!
(They did a great job,and they work just fine!)..They charge Me about $200
which included,springs,revalving,polishing tubes for knicks,and some other shit I forget!

This price was discounted,because I own a shop,but If You like,try saying Joey from Twin Cycles sent You!They might knock off some money!

As far as I know,they are one of the best going for suspension!!Just explain in detail,what Your looking for!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
hey joey this is jason i will be sending out that speedo for you over the next few days.
You still want it.
I am friends with the goul and i have also put plates on the front of my gsxr 1100 1986 and i find them a bit stiff. Had the front springs and caps all replaced.
question do i have to redo the insides because of these plates on the front?
My dad is a machinist and i am wonderinng if he will do the work for me but what thwe hell did these guys change on the insides??
Vanouver west side fishman

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
The best thing you could do for your forks (and bike for that matter) is to keep it AWAY from Modern (or Performance, while I'm on the subject). Be afraid, be VERY afraid. No joke here - nightmare stories from both those 'shops'.

If you want a qualified wrench, book your bike in with Marv (mechanic) at Richmond Motor Sports. He's probably about the best Suzuki mechanic in the lower mainland.

North Shore is normally a good shop, but check with Mr. Gixxer to see who is actually turning the wrenches there, now that Steve is gone. You could overload your mind talking to Ben in parts about GSXRs anyway - he's a walking encylopedia on the subject.

Sounds like Joey's got you well pointed anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BC John thanks for the info on Modern and well I knew about Al @ performance although he did some great work on my Katana 1100 , but he did the work himself and I helped (after hours).

Steve at North Shore that you mentioned, at one time did he work at Modern as they had a great mechanic there bout 5-6 years ago that did work on my 89 Kat 1100 and 84 1150, he was very knowledgeable, wonder if it was same guy? Wil fill ya all in once get the front end done, next is a call to Lindemann Eng, anyone know if there is a co that does the same kind of work but here in Canada?? That would be appreciated!!

The ghoul on a modded 86 gixxer? How do I post a pic of my bike?

·
Banned
982 Posts
After welding up a plate on the forks,I'd suggest taking them to a professional!
The forks will be stiffer,cause of the fact You dont have any anti-dive anymore!

I sent mine to Lidemann Engineering and they came back working great!

You have to let them know what kind of riding You do,and Your weight,ect....

Mr.Rogers,Yes I want it still!

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Ghoul, I'd go with Joey on this one. Their ARE guys in Canada that do the work, but they tend to buy their shit from Ohlins,Race Tech, Lindemann etc anyway. Steen Hansen in Edmonton does really top notch work with Ohlins, BUT, you have to go through a retailer, since they are a wholesale outfit only. I used PPS in California last time with excellent results.

I found that Lindemann were really willing to give me the time of day and go the distance re front fork springs. I didn't find this with Race Tech or Ohlins. Basically, with the others, it was tough shit that I'm ahem, BIG, but Lindemann just sourced the damned things for me and my front forks FINALLY are right on the money!!

Just as an aside, the guys at White Bros. were excellent to me as well. Fellow on the phone spent 1/2 hour on his nickel teaching me some shit about my shock and basically talking me out of buying stuff from them. Is that honest or what...? Unfortunately, don't know if they can help you with your shit.

Big tip using USA from Canada - demand (nicely) that they use US Post. Be really willing to pay the extra few bucks. This way, Rev Can dicks you a measly $5 for brokerage etc and delivers via Canada Post to your door. Unlike UPS, who will charge you more than the product is worth, after they lose it. Be warned - I've learned this the hard way through a lot of cross border shipping/sending.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I agree with Joey 100% on sending the forks to Lindemann's. BUT, before you unbolt everything, take some measurments. Lindemann's will give you a list of all the things they want (like static sag, weighted sag, type of riding, how much you weigh with your gear on, etc...) and if you send them the rear shock you'll have a balanced bike. For total rebuild, parts & labor they quoted me less than $800us for my '86 and they said they'll GET MY ANTI-DIVE TO WORK!!

They've got a fast turn-around too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
very nice picture mannnnnnnn
what cooler is that off of/.////?????

nEXT I WAS in my old canadian biker gixxer madness issue overlooking the 86 -87 gsxr's and looky here what did i see.
one old school gixxer 750 with original forks but they had swaped the brakes to nissins and had the lines connecting into the calipers off the neas units very cool old skool shit. I was just gonna call yosh or suzuki and ask what the picture was all about they may have some items available or ??????????

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HEY ghoul , if u havent already sent the forks off to have the work done u might want to look into doing what i did . i took the ugly gold suma'bitchs' off the forks , and took them to a local machine shop and had them make me a set of plates that let the fluid flow thru the holes in the forks , then i didnt have ta have the forks rebuilt .but keep in mind if they need to be rebuit anyway , u might just wanna do what JOEY said he did. the pates that i had made cost me $150, they are alm. so all i had to to was polish them to match the forks.

just my $.02,
old school1300

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: oldschool 1300 ]

·
Banned
982 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff:
that oil cooler is probably right out of an earls catalog.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Earls suck!
http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/

These guys have More tick stuff to order at the same of ordering Your cooler!

And I'm a Distributer!Orders please...I take pay pal!

·
Registered
29 Posts
So what happens if you do not have your shocks rebuilt. I have been riging an 87 750 with 88 1100 motor and shocks for 10 years. The first thing I did was take the anti dives off and I can't say that I have had any issues. I guess it is a bit stiff (when I set the front wheel down hard from a wheelie it litterally bucks me off of the seat), and I have had some high speed wobble but not all the time and back then I had the clip ons dropped about 1.5 inches. Any one have any contact info for this place in CA.

·
Banned
982 Posts
Originally posted by 87gsxr711:
[QB] I did was take the anti dives off and I can't say that I have had any issues. I guess it is a bit stiff

Your Shit is Boot Leg!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts