Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which ones to use guys think are best or which ones are you guys running.
/1127cc/92
Karl

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, it all depends on what kind of tune you want from your motor. the milder cams (e.g. stage 1's) won't require you to install heavier valve springs or anything like that....basically drop em in, readjust valve clearances and jetting, and you're good to go. wilder cams will require other changes to the top end to insure reliability, thus more time and money, but you'll likely get more gains...

member gsxr1198 i believe has a worked bandit 12 (which uses essentially a larger version of the 1127 oil cooled motor), he should be able to give you some good info.

there's a large multipage thread over in the water cooled gixxers section called 'cam grinds', you can find the cam crazy guys there....

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm just running the early GSXR cams in the B12; right now they're timed at 102°i/106°e. That's a screw-adjuster engine though, so it's not a lot of help to you.

There don't seem to be a lot of choices for aftermarket grinds for the first-gen shim-style 1100... APE lists one grind (.380" lift, 244° @ 0.050") with a WebCam prefix but I don't see it on the WebCam site http://www.webcaminc.com/suzukimoto.html ... I'm running their .377"/.350" lift x 240°/230° cam combination in my '96 1100 and like it very much. Certainly they could weld/grind just about anything you'd want on your cores.

I didn't check either Cam Motion or Megacycle but they should both have a web presence if you poke around a little. Yosh has recently discontinued some of their cam offerings but may still have stock if you can get someone there to get off his ass to check.

FWIW the APE catalog has a note that the '92 engine shows a tendency to spit the shims; they recommend a machined retainer for high-rpm applications.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts