Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How loud is the ticking? Where on the engine is it coming from?

So you pulled the whole motor apart, and checked the rods, pistons and stuff? Or did you just pull the head? Did you pull the oil pan to see if there is any metal or anything down there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by Ratman69:
How loud is the ticking? Where on the engine is it coming from?

So you pulled the whole motor apart, and checked the rods, pistons and stuff? Or did you just pull the head? Did you pull the oil pan to see if there is any metal or anything down there?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We pulled the whole motor part and everything was cool. It is pretty loud like th ticking sound you get when you don't have oil in the dam thing! Just louder. The ticking never goes away either it's in all gears at idle and whenever. The only time you don't hear it is in the morning but that's it. Then it slowly appears.

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Did you guys check the deflection in the cam chain between the cam's? You should have between 1/4" and 3/8" of slack.

My bike is considerably noisier with the Manual CCT .

jontflesh

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Originally posted by 96GIXXSHEEZY7FEEZY:
i think the ape cct is too tight but i could be wrong. still the niose level sucks TICK TICK TICK.....AHHHHHHHHH!!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If it is too tight it will whirr.
I would pull the valve cover just to be safe. Make sure it has the right slack in the cam chain.
Just sounds like the cam chain is too slacky.
With a new cam chain it will stretch a bit for the first 1000 miles or so

I have had to adjust mine once already.

jontflesh

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It is really hard to say what the problem is... When you pulled the motor... did you plasti-gauge it? You should have if you didnt... Also, did you replace the bearings? How did you check the bearing clearance in the motor???

I would have to hear the tick to get a idea of what the tick is. I was wrong on RatMans... so I am not always right...

When did the tick start? did you do the MCCT just becuase or did your stock one go out?

Can you truck the bike down to me? If so then I can listen to it and give you some idea...

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi John,

I gotta question for you and I need some guidance!!! My buddy and I replaced the CCT the CC and the Guides on my 96 gixxer 750. We changed all the guides but the front guide. Now the tensioner is good to go in the position it is in but the bike is still ticking away not as bad as before but I can hella still hear it. My buddy chacked the whole bike over and over. Rods are good valves are good everyhting is good but that damned ticking noise. He is a Suzuki tech and still can't figure out what it is. It is a puzzling mystery. So the question is......can it be that one guide that's causing it to tick? I hope you can give us some kind of hope here on solving this, that way we can go back in and fix it right.
The bike rips...no doubt!!! She just ticks to loud for me to feel safe on it. We ripped that whole sucker apart and just forgot to slap that front guide in there. What do you think bro????

Thanks,

Car

Sorry guys for the long ass post but it's for a good cause.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Mine has done the same ever since it had a manual tensioner put in 14000km's ago, and i get it adjusted every 4000-6000km's. i thought about pulling it down and possibly replacing the guides and checking the camchain, but it aint broken so dont fix it
but the bike still runs like a train with 40000km's on it..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Drizzt:
Mine has done the same ever since it had a manual tensioner put in 14000km's ago, and i get it adjusted every 4000-6000km's. i thought about pulling it down and possibly replacing the guides and checking the camchain, but it aint broken so dont fix it
but the bike still runs like a train with 40000km's on it..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If it is clacking then there is something wrong... It should not make any noise like that... It might work but that doesnt meen it is right... Look at RatMans bike.. I could have said, yea there are a lot of people that say they clack on some of the 98 bikes... But had I let him go with it who knows what would have happend... He had a spun rod bearing...

What it comes down to, FIND THE PROBLEM!!!

John

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
I would have to hear the tick to get a idea of what the tick is. I was wrong on RatMans... so I am not always right...John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Now there's an understatement!

Ha! j/k No guys, I agree with John, if it wasn't making the noise before, and it doesn't sound normal, check on it. When my bike started making a noise, I knew something was wrong, but I assumed it wasn't too bad and tried to ride it home. It got worse after about 3 miles, and I eventually stopped and got it trucked the rest of the way.
But I wonder how much $$$ I would have saved if I would have just stopped right away? I might not have had to buy a new crankshaft.

[ 06-06-2002, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Ratman69 ]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well guys I am certainly not gonna leave this thing unattended the noise makes me sick...you know!!! Are any of you guys gonna check out Laguna Seca this year???? If I don't get this thing fixxed i'm going to have to ride my wife's RC-51. Too funky for me. The only problem that is tripping me out about this whole thing is that the noise isn't getting worse it is just a constant ticking noise......like as if someone stuck a baseball card in a bicycles spokes. This sucks. You guys are the best help anywhere all the shops out here in San Francisco can't give me answers!!!! Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are any of you guys gonna check out Laguna Seca this year????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, I'll be there with a big group of people from Bakersfield. A lot of other people from this board will be going as well.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
what a bitch mate, i feel for you, really do. still could be that worn guide you left in. it'll tick if its worn. like i said, what a pig. rather somebody else than me though !!!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My motor is probably going to cost between $800 to $900 in parts, plus another $200 that I spent on a new cam chain, guide, and Manual tensioner.
But I got a really good deal on a crank and rods, so if you need those replaced, it might cost more.

One thing, stop running your motor, even just to listen to the sound. You need to find out what it is, if the sound is coming from where you say, its probably in the motor. And every time you start it, you could be damaging a part that you might have to replace, and the end it will cost more $$$.

And I highly recommend John's work. He's really busy, he helps out a lot of guys, but he does really good work, and he is really patient in helping you understand what he is doing. He also doesn't bullshit you, like a shop would. As for price, that would be between you and him, but let me tell you, his labor is worth a lot more than he would ever charge. He will treat your motor like it was his, not like you are just some customer.

I really hope you have good luck with your motor, its been quite a burden on me trying to get mine fixed. (I hope I never have to eat Top Ramen again!
) But it's worth it. I've been miserable without my bike.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I agree 100% with Ratman about running the motor... stop now... you will save yourself in the long run...

As far as my price... I have not set anything in stone.. Ratman is the first motor rebuild that I have charged for... only because I have only rebuilt my motor.. lol But as he has said, I am very fair with my costs... It isnt anything near what a shop would charge you... I go way over what they do, and make sure that everything is ok...

I was told by a shop that it would have cost me 1000 bucks to have them tear my motor down I needed it done... So I learned how to do it myself.. LOL Oh and that was after laughing at them to there face.. LOL

Anyhow.. When I rebuild, I explain what has happend, what you need to do, and what you should do and I let you make the call... As Ratman knows, I will answer any question you have so you can make the best call for your motor... REMEMBER, it isnt MY motor, it is yours... So I let you pick how much it will cost to rebuild...

John

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Freak, nah mine is only the ticking (after it is adjsuted it normally dies down), not the slapping sound (the slap was the sound it was making with the auto CCT, that has gone when a manual CCT was put in) but i have a stethascope available as well so i might try that and make sure it aint coming from the lower engine..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
A worn front guide should not make the bike tick unless it is so worn that the guide broke. Then maybe... But if the guide is still in there then it shouldnt tick/clack.. it might make noise, but it would/should be a very small amount.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok guys.....Last night i was messing with my bike again and I found where the ticking really is coming from. With my stethescope that I should have used a long time ago I found the darn bugger. It is actually at the bottom part of my engine on the right side where 3 and 4 is. It is really bad there. I can hear it on the left side as well but not as bad I think it is just the right side sounding off through 1 and 2. That's how loud it is. My neighbor came out and was listening to the ticking and said that it sounded like a bearing was loose or it could be a damaged rod. Shit.............how much is this shit gonna coast me. If it ain't one thing it's another........what should I do. Can it be fixxed or should I just get another motor.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Ok guys.....Last night i was messing with my bike again and I found where the ticking really is coming from. With my stethescope that I should have used a long time ago I found the darn bugger. It is actually at the bottom part of my engine on the right side where 3 and 4 is. It is really bad there. I can hear it on the left side as well but not as bad I think it is just the right side sounding off through 1 and 2. That's how loud it is. My neighbor came out and was listening to the ticking and said that it sounded like a bearing was loose or it could be a damaged rod. Shit.............how much is this shit gonna coast me. If it ain't one thing it's another........what should I do. Can it be fixxed or should I just get another motor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well it does sound like a rod that would be making it then... I know you dont want to hear that.. but that could be the case.. If you want to find out if it is a rod you can pull the block on the motor (in the bike) and then you can rock each rod... You will know right a way...

I do motor rebuilds... So if it really comes down to it we can talk more about it.. I know it can be very costly to do it... I think my last rebuild (no crank or rods) cost me about 800 in parts... Ratman might be willing to let you know how much his is costing him, but I will leave that to him...

If you crank has damage then it will cost a lot more to do... When my motor droped a valve I was looking into getting a used motor just for parts... Then rebuild it to make sure everything is ok..

John

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
thanks for correcting me on that mate !! must admit i felt sorry for the poor lad with his bike being poorly and all, that i just had to offer some kind of input !! hope you sort it though. dan uk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts