Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a 2004 GSXR 600, I know that people swap their cams out with those from a 750 and 1000. Which cam from which bike replaces the 600 cams? What kind of increase should be expected?

Scott

·
Registered
202 Posts
id like to know allso about the power gains that can be had or the point of changing these cams around
this is the link http://www.schnitzracing.com/technical_corner.htm
halfway down the page it lists the cams and whats what but do say anything about gains on standard motors like my 750 motor ,what gain i would get by swapping to 1000 cams and if any mods need doing ?

dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am running 02 gsxr1000 cams in my 01 gsxr750 race bike. On the dyno i had picked up 15 to 20 horses. But the bad news is in order to get this power gain you must use adjustable cam shaft gears and 1 mill off the head with a race head gasket. I just got my bike back for Redline Perf and they have my bike pushing around 142 horses at the rear wheel. That also includes 4 hours on the dyno playing with the maping on the power commander and the adjustments on the cam gears. I am looking at having the head work after race season is over and maybe going with 318 kit.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I talked to a guy yesterday who has been racing mini-sprints for 30 years. He has been using the 600 motors in his cars, and I'm going to stop by and talk with him in the next couple of days. He did mention that he is running 1000 cams in the motor (didn't say whether it was intake or exhaust, or both.) I'll post up what info I get from him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is some information on the gsxr family cams. Hope this helps. Stock GSXR Cams

Year........ Type................... Lift @ 0 lash [email protected]
2001-03...GSXR 600...........INT .337" 237^ ....28.3.......EX .287" 215^ ......... 22.5

2000-03...GSXR750............INT .344" 240^.....29.3........EX .287" 215^...... ...22.5

2001-02...GSXR1000......... INT .355" 244^ ... 30.4....... EX .314" 220 1/2^ ...25.0

2003-04... GSXR1000......... INT .355" 244^....30.6....... EX .315" 220 1/2^ ...25.0

Estimated Best Combination

GSXR600........................................ GSXR750.....................................GSXR1000
750 intake - on intake...................... 1000 intake - on intake................ Stock intake
1000 exhaust - on exhaust............. 1000 exhaust - on exhaust......... 600 intake - on exhaust

You can find this information on http://www.schnitzracing.com/technical_corner.htm

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Good post, radracer.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably not now, since the guys is building the turbo to the specs of the motor currently. I mean you could do it, but with the air flow compensations changing, I would re calc the system first, and create a new map.

Scott

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
The 750 and 1000 cams are longer duration so you will move the power further up the rev range, loosing midrange in the process. Some of this can be had back with more compression and other modifications. You will also need to fit adjustable sprockets and dial them in correctly as they are miles out if you drop in. Gains can be almost nothing to losses with really bad timing. Be very careful with higher lift cams if raising the compression as clearances can get very tight. You also need to check valve springs on certain combinations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a 03 gsxr 600 and I want to put 1000 cams in it, what else do I need to do to make this work? Or is it as simple as pull the old out and put the new in?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
The 750 and 1000 cams are longer duration so you will move the power further up the rev range, loosing midrange in the process. Some of this can be had back with more compression and other modifications. You will also need to fit adjustable sprockets and dial them in correctly as they are miles out if you drop in. Gains can be almost nothing to losses with really bad timing. Be very careful with higher lift cams if raising the compression as clearances can get very tight. You also need to check valve springs on certain combinations.
So I have a 03 gsxr 600 and I want to put 1000 cams in it, what else do I need to do to make this work? Or is it as simple as pull the old out and put the new in?
Did you literally not read the reply directly above your post? All the answers are right there....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
oldgixxer
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing