Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at cams to order, and see that Web makes two differant ones. which ones do what , i meen is the reliability factor about the same? how about power? any info would be helpful i dont want to regret my choice.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I got the Web 540/566 cams..I got an 18 HP increase, but I'm guessing that 5 of that was from breaking the bike in completly...Stam and Gixxer the Kidd both got about 13 HP with the Web cams...So I would say 13 HP is what you can expect with these cams, a Power Commander and a custom map....

I've got about 2000 miles on mine and so far so good.....no complaints

PM me if you want any more info.....

·
Registered
988 Posts
put some 750 valve springs in there with the cams, it will save your motor. I have two full sets I will sale. The one set are brand new. $50

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
540/566 are the best ones for your bike, i would do it in conjunction with a few other mods and get a map all at once...
Right, you must change the valve springs to the stronger 750 ones.
To do that you must take the head off.
So if the head is off you can (after taking measurements and deciding its okay) fit a thinner
head gasket, have the head 'shaved', or/and have a professional valve job done.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm going to put the thinner head gasket on and call it good...I don't want to mess with to much on the head and have clearance problems....I should be okay with just the thinner gasket right? It should bump me up .5 on the compression right?

·
Premium Member
41,723 Posts
put some 750 valve springs in there with the cams, it will save your motor. I have two full sets I will sale. The one set are brand new. $50
How much are they normally?

I have been thinking about doing the cams as well. I see that they sell them with adjustable sprockets pressed on, is that a good deal or is there a certain brand of adjustables that are good? So for the springs, cams, sprockets and thinner head gasket, how much are we looking at? This is with me doing the work and not getting a custom map (yet).
So its safe to say I would be putting down low 170ish rwhp if I put down 155.5 already? (give or take).

EDIT: Oh, I should go ahead and get a better chain tensioner while im in there....

·
Registered
941 Posts
Cams w/ sprockets were 770.00 to my door...
Springs are 100.00
Yosh head gasket is about 150.00..

You can expect a 13 hp increase with the web 540/566 cams....I don't know what the thinner head gasket will do for sure...a few ponies and bump the compression up. I hear that will boost the low end some....

So yeah, 170ish is a comfortable/realistic expectation....

·
Registered
919 Posts
dude - everyone talks about buying the yosh head gasket... the gixxer1k head gasket is three sheets pressed together. The local drag shop owner here in VA has had great success just peeling one of the sheets off (i forget how much that takes off) but it increases compression a tiny bit less than if u buy the yosh gasket

aside from that, the standard APR adjustable cam gears are great - get em pressed on (shouldnt cost more than $100). Definitely get beefier springs - stock ti retainers are fine. and for gods sake, have a performance shop do the work, not ur dealer!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just picedk up a set of 540/566 web cams.

I have 750 springs and yosh cotters, and high comp pistons.

What are the proposed initial timing specs for the 540/566 cams (105/105)?

What PTV clearance's are you running?

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
So its safe to say I would be putting down low 170ish rwhp if I put down 155.5 already? (give or take).
You are going to need a custom map with these cams. The fuelling requirements are totally different. If you don't it will run like a bag of shit in the low and midrange going on what i've done before.

On the comment of removing a gasket leaf ....... there are 3 leafs for a reason. I've seen quite a few with leakage between the cylinders because this has been done. There is not a lot of meat there to start off with. If you get leakage you are throwing away power. There is stacks of ptv clearance so just spend $40 and have 10 thou" taken off the head and rebuild with a stock gasket. If you are spending a thousand bucks on parts why risk a problem for the sake of a few more $. I'm sure some will reply that they have never had an issue but IMO you do the job right in the first place. Just my 2 pence

·
Registered
720 Posts
i got yoshi cams on my k2 but i heard web cams are the best so far

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
What is the word on retainers.....I have a set of Web 540/566 cams, are stock retainers OK? or not?

I'm have the Yosh Ti keepers, but heard mixed things about the retainers.

Any advice is appreciated.
K.

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
I've not had issue with the stock retainers providing they are changed regular and you use the yosh cotter.
I've seen aftermarket retainers last a lot less time, but i'm sure there must be some better ones out there.

·
Registered
988 Posts
01-03 750 SPRINGS.... Stock retainers are great im my book...I had some TI retainers wore out on me in about 2,500 miles...I think it was from poor machining.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts