Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow gix riders, I know there's a sticky about the Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) problem, but I'm having difficulty in a couple ares i'm hoping some of you can shine some light on for me. I've frequented this board almost daily for the past 3 months, but only recently signed up.

My Bike: 1997 GSX-R 600
22,000 Miles
Bone Stock
Recently changed Oil and oil filter

1 - I get the ticking/clicking/diesel-like sound coming from my bike, but only after the engine has been warmed up (i.e. riding home from work and engine temp is anywhere from 160-200 then it becomes really noticeable while sitting at idle or backing off throttle.) I know that gixxer engines are some of the louder ones of most sport bikes, so is it possible that i'm mistaking that sound for the regular sound of the engine? I've become real paranoid about the whole CCT thing, which is why i ask that. This is my only ride, so i cant afford the engine getting screwed up. If anyone in the Vegas area has some experience with this and is available to listen to it for me, please drop me an email....which brings me to my next problem....

2 - I try bringing it to the dealer to have them take a look at it, and they say they will charge me 80 bucks....JUST TO LISTEN TO IT and determine if that's the problem. Isn't this supposed to be covered by Suzuki??? It was a recall wasn't it? That's what i've read on this board over and over again. But they service guy told me that it isn't a recal item because recalls have to do with something like "the bike catching on fire, or something that causes you to lose a limb". So...is there any proof i can get that there was a recal for this, or what would you guys reccomend doing? I want to bring an official paper showing there was a recal for it and shoving it in his face to prove it to him...(sorry, that's just my frustration talking now).

Any info/advice/anything you all can give me would be great. Thanks in advance! I'll be checking back often.

Brian
clikity-tick-clickity-tick...grrr

·
Registered
838 Posts
I tried goin to the dealers to get the CCT replaced on mine since I heard it was recalled. NO luck at all, my bike got 12,000 miles on it and the lady said even if it was recalled my bike had too many miles on it. I think that was a bunch os B.S.. I tried everthing to try and get Suzuki to pay for the replacement. I ended up paying for it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
it is listed on the NHTSA's web site about the 750 though.

Year: 1999 Make: SUZUKI MOTORCYCLE Model: GSXR750 Recall Date: 05/27/1999

Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 7828
Manufactured: 07/1998 - 04/1999
Defect Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES. THE CAM CHAIN TENSION ADJUSTER DOES NOT PROVIDE CONSISTENT TENSION TO THE CAM CHAIN IN THE ENGINE CAUSING ABNORMAL ENGINE SOUNDS.
Consequence Summary:
THIS COULD LEAD TO CAM CHAIN BREAKAGE OR OVER SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE. IT COULD ALSO CAUSE SUDDEN ENGINE FAILURE.
Corrective Summary:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ORIGINAL CAM CHAIN TENSION ADJUSTER AND UPPER CAM CHAIN GUIDE NO. 2 WITH A REVISED CAM CHAIN TENSION ADJUSTER AND UPPER CAM CHAIN GUIDE NO. 2. THE DEALER WILL INSPECT AND MAY REPLACE OTHER ENGINE COMPONENTS WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN DAMAGED BECAUSE OF CAM CHAIN TENSION ADJUSTER FAILURE.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
there is something witht he 750's i dont get it..i have both a 99 600 and 750..my 600 has 18k miles on it and i dont have 1 prob and then my 99 750 has 1100 mile son it and the cam chain tensioner just went out! what is the deal with the 750 that causes so many probs?

·
Registered
288 Posts
its pretty easy to replace though, the book says youve got to lower the engine
just take the gas tank off and use a socket and a wobble, i changed one last night. we got a used tension with 32 miles on it for $40

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
There is only one bike that has a recall for the CCT.. and that is the 99 750... ANY OTHER BIKE WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER THE RECALL...

Dont waste your time and money with trying to find the problem, or putting in a stock auto CCT.. Just go out and get a manual CCT for the bike... It isnt worth risking it.. You dont need to lower the motor to install it, I have done many of them without dropping the motor...

John

Reactions: 86gixxxer
1 - 7 of 7 Posts