Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the cam chain tensioner.

1. What years did the recall effect, I have a 98' and I'm going to get the valves adjusted next month so if it is good for a 98' i'd like them to do it at the same time.

2. What exactly is the noise, I heard like a diesel engine, but can anyone be more specific..only at idle?? high rev's?? how loud?? I don't want to mistake the sound with possible valves tapping if I ever come across it.

3. Since it is a recall they should do it for free right???

Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
The actuall recall was 97's if I remember right but many of the 98's had probs, mine included lol.
The noise is hard to explain via text but...
Lift your tank
Start the bike
Listen to the riders right side of the engine.
If the cam chain is loose you will here a ticking sound that kinda follows the rythm of the engine. If you blip your throttle the clicking goes faster with the engine then when you let off on the throttle the clicking slows down real sloppy sounding. That is the chain slapping in the case.
You can also take off your valve cover and measuer the deflection of slack in the cam chain between the cams.
I would definatly just dump the OEM auto cam chain tensioner and pick up a APE Manual Cam Chain Tensioner for around 50 bones. Piece of mind is so much better with the APE.

jontflesh

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, I think i'm just going to replace it when I get the valves adjusted since everything will be open, it's only a couple extra bucks.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well the recall was on the 99 750... But some of the 98 had problems, and it COULD happen to any of them... Not worth the stock CCT being in there if you ask me.

John

·
Registered
900 Posts
Blood from the Stone to get a CCT out of Suzuki on recall for a 98. You don't want one anyway cause they are crap.
F.Y.I. They only recall that my 98 bike has listed on the Suzuki computer is the fuel hose that had a tendancy to come off.

·
Registered
645 Posts
yeah, I'm going to add one comment to help beat this into the ground. LOL

Yeah the manual CCT is so worth it because it wont lose it's tension adjustment. You can't beat the savings of $50 vs. several hundred dinero to redo what little damage could be done. See gsxrzone.com for details on it. It's pretty cool. Got mine done already.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Korn007:
Yea that recall pertained to all 96-99 750's and 97-2000 600's
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uhmmmm No it is only on the 99 750... I have looked into it many times.. The pre 99 CCT did not have the same problems as the 99.. In fact it is a VERY different CCT and they should have never changed it.

As for the 600, Only a few 600s from the 99 and 00 years had problems...

THEY ONLY RECALLED THE 99 750 FOR A CCT

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Recalled for what???

John

·
Registered
647 Posts
cam chain! Really it was, not trying to start anyting. I may still have the letter. I remember meeting someone that crashed a 600 because of it too.

[ 01-17-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: tlrmike ]

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Yeah my girlfriend has a '99 600 and her CCT was recalled. The bike only had like 1900 miles on it when she got it and it sounded HORRIBLE

-Spooner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts