Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 GSXR750F
Just installed new rings and did a valve grind. All went well until, following the book , exhaust cam "1" arrow pointing to the gasket surface front of engine ,count link pins (21) to the inlet cog set on "3" arrow. Now the notches on the end of the cams point away from each other ,the book looks like they point towards each other. Adjusting the valve clearance as per book makes no sense. See picture 1 and picture 2. Picture 4 is inlet cog and correct arrow on pin 21 of the chain and picture 5 is the exhast cog
Any comments of help.
Col

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
One of the cams is 180 degrees out - those notches either face each other or face away from each other. Have you refitted the cam sprockets incorrectly , easy to make an error. Refit your cams with #1 on tdc and ignition rotor on #1 - then refit cams in their proper positions, as per pictures

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that’s what I thought but I never had the sprockets off and it was running fine. If I turn the sprocket 180 * will the cam lobes be correct. That is are the cam lobes the same on both sides of the shaft? Not explaining well but...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to a mate who knows old school bikes, we(he), found that although I had never removed the cog on the inlet cam, it was 180* out of phase. We removed the two bolts holding the cog to the cam shaft and spin it half a turn, this makes the cams with the notches in the correct orantation as per the book. Now to set the valve clearances and hope that the valves have not hit the tops of the pistons, most tappets were loose so here is hoping.
Only posting to inform anybody how have looked in and thanks to nickr.
Col

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully all good now just need to button it up and slip it back in the frame. And then the fun starts, well let’s hope it does start lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally back together, slight oil leak on first run. Wiped the sump where the oil was dripping and found the sump plug was nearly out. Guess who forgot to tighten it ! Lucky me it stayed in and the drip was just enough to wake me up and do no damage. I do remember , some weeks ago , putting it back in fingertight and as the motor has been sitting on the bench for eight weeks I just forgot to tighten it. Alsiemers stricks again. Alls well that ends well......
Col

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally back together, slight oil leak on first run. Wiped the sump where the oil was dripping and found the sump plug was nearly out. Guess who forgot to tighten it ! Lucky me it stayed in and the drip was just enough to wake me up and do no damage. I do remember , some weeks ago , putting it back in fingertight and as the motor has been sitting on the bench for eight weeks I just forgot to tighten it. Alsiemers stricks again. Alls well that ends well......
Col
Pleased to announce that after a small period of taking it easy ie. low revs, it now has had a run where the revs snuck up to 9000 which is a lot higher than it has been for some time, it is pulling like a train. Anything above 4000 it starts to fly and the front wheel gets very light. Remember that I am getting old and reflexes aren’t what they used to be so I try to be conservative. Anyway a refresh certainly did not do it any harm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts