Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become quite good at working on the LT1 in my Z28 and know my way around an engine compartment, but I am stumped on this one.

I was having problems with my bike getting very hot, so I wanted to check the thermostat. I know what a thermostat housing on a car looks like, so I followed the coolant lines from the radiator to what I thought was the thermostat.

Long story short, the only thing inside of that housing was a little rotor for a pump or something. It is in the back of the engine on the clutch side. I then followed the coolant lines to a few other places, but no thermostat to be found!

Am I missing something here, or did the previous owner just take the thermostat out? I'm stumped. Oh, by the way, the bike is doing much better after flushing the system, just curious about the thermostat!

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
its on the back side of the head you can see it if you remove the airbox

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Make sure your fan is coming on before you mess with the thermostat, they hardly ever go out.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
What lbidu1 said......

The thermostat housing is on the back of the engine, it has a small 8mm bolt/screw on the top of it.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
no... it's not very common, 'specially with aluminum components.

I'd say it's more likely z28 didn't bleed the air out of the cooling system (assuming the cooling mix is right).

z28... explain how it overheats. Is the temp just getting high (how high?), or is it boiliing over?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was actually boiling over, but I drained the coolant and refilled the system and it is doing fine now. I put some water wetter in too and it seems to helps a bit. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts