Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will calipers off a 97 gix 600 fit my stock 89 750 forks........

And would these be an improvement over my OEM calipers....

Oh yea...All 3 for 50.00!

Sound good?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
See my webpage... I just did this conversion along with the front wheel from the 600 as well. The calipers will bolt directly to the forks (I dunno bout the rear) and they worked fine for me for the few days it took me to get spacers made for the wheel. I did notice that the actual size of the brake pad material is ever-so-slightly smaller for the new calipers, and I added stainless lines to mine at the same time so *of course* I saw an improvement, but I doubt that the calipers actually did anything performance-wise... they are slightly lighter if you use the new-style hollow bolts to mount the calipers to the frame with. Note that the caliper mount points fit well for the old-style wheel, but if you do like I did and use the newer style wheel as well, you will have to re-locate the mount-points to make up for the slightly larger rotor. The website has pics and pretty complete info:

http://home.attbi.com/~msbhavior

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Front calipers from 88-99 750's and 89-98 1100's as well as the 93-00 600's will all interchange.
Rears from 85-02 interchange with the exception of the 93-95 600,750,and 1100's they have the same bolt patern but not brake stay arm mount.
Six pistons were used on the 93-95 600, 93-99 750 and 93-98 1100. I think the bolt patern is the same on the 1st gen (85-87 750's and 86-88 1100)but I have never owned one of them so can't say.
Bones

[ 11-04-2002, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
Front calipers from 88-99 750's and 89-98 1100's as well as the 93-01 600's will all interchange.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the current generation gsxr ('00+ 750, '01+ 600, '01+ 1k) front calipers will not bolt directly up to previous generation gsxr (srad) forks.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Sorry Jeff it should have been 93-00. I edited it to correct.
Bones

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so we know they will fit..........

Is this a worthwhile swap?

FastCat.........So you dont think there was much improvment?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by z1bigtom:
Ok so we know they will fit..........

Is this a worthwhile swap?

FastCat.........So you dont think there was much improvment?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, I *definitely* noticed an improvement... but I think the stainless lines and larger rotor from the new-gen wheel have a lot to do with that. The biggest reason (besides the trick-lookin' remote reservoir) I wanted to swap the brakes on mine was to match the new rotor on the straight-spoke wheel I mounted. I doubt that it really makes much diff, but the oldskool calipers were meant to reside on 310mm rotors, and the new-style rotors I got are 315mm so there's a minor diff in the arc that passes through the brake-pads inside the caliper. I have no idea if I would have noticed any improvement if I had simply swapped calipers and nothing else. I'm not even positive that the inner bore on the oldskool master-cylinder will work with the newer calipers, come to think of it... or they may be the same... Bones? Jeff?

PS - I didn't weigh these on a triple-beam or anything, but it did seem that the new calipers were lighter than the nissins... and I am certain that the hollow mounting bolts contribute to that...

PPS: It's gonna make you cry, so click at your own risk... but I got my calipers/master cyl. *really* cheap... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1865931920&rd=1

[ 11-04-2002, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
I have no idea if I would have noticed any improvement if I had simply swapped calipers and nothing else. I'm not even positive that the inner bore on the oldskool master-cylinder will work with the newer calipers, come to think of it... or they may be the same... Bones? Jeff?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">stock gsxr master cylinder bores have been 16mm ever since the beginning....in fact, the master cylinder piston on current generation bikes is the exact same one as found on the first gsxr's.

i would also tend to agree that the difference you've noticed with the swap is probably mostly due to the stainless lines (i assume you had the stock ones prior to the swap), larger diameter rotors (they're supposed to be 320mm), differences in pad compound, fresh brake fluid, and recent bleeding, than the calipers themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts