Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, new here. I have 2003-2004 GSXR 1000 forks, will 2008 calipers fit? Are they better than the 03-04? Many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
2008 calipers would fit but they're not really an upgrade. You would also have to machine down the calipers to suit smaller diameter brake discs or get bigger discs.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,637 Posts
See this. I'm not sure exactly what it refers to but the different values for Fork Spacing At Wheel Spindle Clamps does not sound encouraging. Perhaps all that's needed is a custom spacer. The table originated on tlzone but has been blocked by Photobucket. A larger version with several supporting pics is here. I maintain my own copy so I can't vouch for it's current accuracy.

The axles are different (see the parts fiche). K5-K8 calipers are not well thought of but K9-L1 are (matching MC needed).

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Outside to outside of wheel bearings is what matters in this case and it's the same 129,5mm for both. Also rotor spacing is the same.

Only problem is if you are using an aftermarket wheel with captive spacer (like on Galespeed wheels).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My plan is to use '08 wheels and rotors and 03'-04' calipers. I think, if I'm reading the matrix(s) correctly. And a 2003 axle. Please correct me if I made a mistake. Thank you all for posting and helping. Trying to help a young fella, and learn in the process.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
The Honda CBR 1000( and several other Honda ) 2008-2015ish tocigo one piece calipers are a better option. They are more or less a bolt on and they are "billet" construction ( not real true billet but as billet as any non Brembo calipers are ).

·
7,637 Posts
Use the K9-L1 Suzuki calipers. These guys race with them. I think that the Hondas are essentially the same but years ago I spoke with a Honda rep who said that their ABS Tokico calipers are different from the non-ABS. Never looked into it but it seemed best to stay away from them without further info. Plus the Suzuki calipers use the same pads as K5-K8 while I think the Hondas use their different sized pads. As said before, you also need a matching (17 mm) MC.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Use the K9-L1 Suzuki calipers. These guys race with them. I think that the Hondas are essentially the same but years ago I spoke with a Honda rep who said that their ABS Tokico calipers are different from the non-ABS. Never looked into it but it seemed best to stay away from them without further info. Plus the Suzuki calipers use the same pads as K5-K8 while I think the Hondas use their different sized pads. As said before, you also need a matching (17 mm) MC.
I fitted a set of non-abs monoblock cbr tokico's and m/c for my K6 years ago,before the m/c recall. I had a friend machine 14mm aluminium spacers.

the brake pads are different to the gsx-r's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Honda CBR 1000( and several other Honda ) 2008-2015ish tocigo one piece calipers are a better option. They are more or less a bolt on and they are "billet" construction ( not real true billet but as billet as any non Brembo calipers are ).
Huh? It's either made from a single block of aluminum or it isn't. What am I missing?

·
7,637 Posts
As best I can tell, they're machined from a casting with holes in the backside that are plugged and welded to the body:
Backside
Overall exterior

Note the sand cast-like finish and what looks like the result of welding the plugs and trimming the rear surface (presumably after the bores are finished).

"Billet" gets misused. As I use it, the part starts as a solid block of aluminum from a mill and is fully machined (all surfaces). This would allow for multiple parts in the assembly, ex. there could be plugs that are threaded (or I guess welded) in. The Brembo M4 appears to be made the same way as the Tokico's, but with a better finish and is also not billet. On some of their higher-end monoblocs, they appear to somehow machine the bores without using plugs. I've wondered how that is done (or are there some deftly concealed welded plugs?). Some appear to start as castings while others are true billet.

P.S. The Tokico pics show what seems to be unessential material that could be removed to further lighten them. Too bad that they didn't pursue that. But I concede that it may only make them 10-15 gm lighter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts