Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am a student at Glasgow Caledonian University. We have just started a Formula Student team and we are using the GSX-R 600 (2007). We are in need of a CAD model of this engine and I was hoping someone may be able to help. If anyone has it or knows where I could source this from, please get in contact it. It will really help us out!

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I am on my university's FSAE team out here in California. Most of the guys on this forum are just here for mechanical advice, and more motorcycle-specific technical questions and general banter. Is there a reason that you specifically need a cad model of the entire engine? We use a stand in cad model that has much of the same overall geometry, and the geometry of the important mounting locations as well as the intake, exhaust and counter-shaft sprocket locations. Sure, it would take some work for you to get that all modeled up, but it should be more than adequate for your needs as well. In addition, we have a 3D scanned model of our engine for the more complicated geometry, but only use it for referencing geometry or locations of interest for the simplified model. The scanned part is unnecessarily detailed and large and provides a huge computational load, especially when combined into the master assembly.

I'm sure you've thought about it, but the most luck you'd have on finding the mode you are looking for would be to ask generally on the FSAE or Formula Student forums and groups, or find a team that is running the K7 or similar engine and ask them if they would be kind enough to provide you with a model. Over here in America, that engine is relatively uncommon relative to the Honda or the Yamaha 4's, but it would probably get you closer to what you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

We did find one online but it doesn’t specify the year. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe there are slight changes to the engine mount position and some other dimension changes. The team don’t want to buy this model until we are sure it’s a match to our engine. Although this has been the closest we have got to finding one. I have also posted in other forums including the FSAE on Reddit. We are currently waiting on a reply on these forums.

At the moment a model that has the correct general sizes would still be of great use to us.

If your team are using the same engine model would you be willing to share it with us?

·
Registered
2 Posts
FSAE teams generally will help out with things like this, they don't usually do the typical motorsport secretive thing. Our team uses a single-cylinder Yamaha at the moment, so unfortunately our model is probably the furthest from what you are looking for. Like I said previously, I can't, off the top of my head name any University in the US that runs the GSXR 600 engine, and I was the head of the engine subteam last year, and I have a 2007 GSXR 600 as a personal bike. If you have any other questions however, feel free to message me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts