Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that you can change your hydraulic clutch to cable by using the side case from a katana is that true. And does anyone suggest the change.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of trouble will it be. Think about it less weight on the bars and a cleaner look. If it can be done

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think most people have prefered the cable clutch. I can't say from my own experience since all I have ever used is cable, I would imagine it would be easier to work with. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dontilgon-
I have one that I tried on my 92 GSX-R1100. I was too use to the hydraulic and since I was consistant drag racing with the hydraulic I went back to it. It is now available for sale if you are interested. It includes everything that you need to do the change (Handle, perch, cable, and sprocket cover) Easy install (about an hour)

First $100 + shipping takes it.

-Dave

·
Registered
461 Posts
the first mod I did to my 1986 GSXR was to swap the early Katana 600 cable clutch assembly onto the old 1100.
use an early Katana 600(up to 1992). they have the left side clutch cover that works just fine with the stock pushrod assembly.
the only real advantage is the lack of leakyness(I have had 2 86 1100s, and both of them leaked), and the fact that is says I have a 6 speed now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to a person who had the switch and he said the clutch was real hard pull. Is that true. As far as 100.00 I looked up all the parts new and it come out to the same. Can u give me a better price.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by Dontilgon:
I talked to a person who had the switch and he said the clutch was real hard pull. Is that true. As far as 100.00 I looked up all the parts new and it come out to the same. Can u give me a better price.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the first cable I used was used and tight, so the clutch pull was killer, but I replaced that with a brand new cable, and it has less effort than the hydraylic system(about the same a a 1996+ GSXR750).

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am currently running the cable on my 86(swapped from a Katana. I really like hydrualic clutches for street or strip(My clutch pull is a bitch) But on a race track cable would be best. But I hate adjusting the clutch Hydraulic makes you lazy. Its kinda like blondes or brunettes either way you get that nut.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Personally, I prefer the "feel" of the cable clutch, though it definitely is a heavier draw than the hydraulic clutch. I have made the switch, and it's no big deal. But, this is on my bastardized frankenbike (sort of a bandit 1200, Katana 1100-ish motor) so I'm not sure it will be the same on your bike.

Also, if you're just interested in experimenting, I've got a Kat side cover I'd sell you for cheap (how's $15 plus shipping?) I think I have a cable on it already too.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
the cable setup is ok if you are trying to run alot of static spring pressure...lots of static pressure cause the cable to stretch and the cover to "flex"...once the cable stretches, you will chase cluth adjustment forever...the hydro clutch is alot smoother and better for those applications that reguire lots of static spring pressure...

thanks,
dwayne

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dontilgon-

Actually the price (new) comes out to $138.00

I paid $120 for it used last year.

I use an extra clutch spring in my bike but yes it was a heavy pull. I'm not sure with 2 springs how it will be.

OK...$85 including shipping to NY (COD tag extra)

-Dave

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I have both...Cable on the 88 7-11 and stock hyd on the 90 1100. Both work well and cable has a better feel but hyd is easy on the forearm and smooth. Converted the 88 using Kat parts (90 600) and it went in easy took about 30 min.
Bones

1 - 15 of 15 Posts