Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wifey sorta gave me the go ahead to start looking at teh K5 1000's. Since I'm in Cali, I'm wondering how much of a difference the California emissions make a difference on power as compared to a 49 state bike. Can that emissions shit be removed without screwing up anything?

thanx!

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what exactly is installed that makes it CA emissions?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It has a vapor canister, different throttle bodies and gas tank which have vents for the vapor can. That's it. Stupid, huh? All that ends up costing us another $1000 to 1500 over what other guys can get their 49 staters so the EPA nazi's can say they are doing something.

But all belching diesels are exempt...figure that one out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
what exactly is installed that makes it CA emissions?
"There is no difference in the bikes at all. The K5 is identical in all aspects in all 50 States. Suzuki has started doing this, because of a nationwide emission law going into effect next year (or 2)."

That's what I was told by a Suzuki Rep at the AMA. The only thing that sucks about Cali is that you can't register a bike or car with less than 7500 miles that is from another state.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
no power diff at all infact im using a 49 state tank on the 1k and canister was removed first thing when i started modding it years ago
Is your bike a 2005 1000cc?

Of course the EVAC is standard for fuel vapor only. What about actual exhaust emissions?

I heard from a Suzuki dealer the K5 1K California bikes now have different cams and ECU related fixes to squelch the emissions. Maybe other changes as well. Unlike previous models the change was made in 2005 and all future models. This would all be restrictive on achieving the original factory power rating for the "A" model.

I also wonder if the inside of the muffler is different as well, it may look the same but is it mechanically?

I can't confirm any of this personally, just word of mouth. Anybody have a VIN code to see if it states that it is an unrestricted "A" model? However the "A" rating may not mean it isn't emission restricted. Not sure how that would be handled by Suzuki as far as the VIN goes and California emissions.

Has anyone taken apart a K5 California model engine yet to check the cams? Until then I'm going to side with this fellow's word because it makes sense to do the cams and ECU in order to help cut down on emissions. This guy also said it will eventually happen to all the bikes in all 50 states in a few years. Just what I've heard.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's been just the evaporative package since FI.

It's easy to check if the cams or ECU are different on the parts fiche. On the carbed bikes, the different cams were also shown in the service manual under the lobe height check.

The sky is falling because of emisions has been going on since 1970. Meanwhile, everything since keeps getting faster. Except in the minds of semi literate red necks, either too old to change or too young to really know what they're talking about. There was a big dip in '72 while they tried to meet the rules with old technology, carburators and vacuum lines. California has always been hit first, and bikes hung on to the carbs for 20 years after the cars, but you have the emmisions nazi's to thank for the incredible tractibility of the current bikes. The Republic of California can push the performance suppliers around because it is such a huge market. Bikes are more expensive in California because the demand by (financially) qualified buyers is relatively high compared to other markets. And the Republic of California demands it's full pound of flesh in taxes. I'm a product of it's public school system, so I live with it.

You're already seeing catalytic converters in some bikes. It doesn't appear to be the performance disaster that is was for cars in '75. Suzuki looks like it dodged that bullet for a couple years with shorter exhaust cam timing. I think Kawi decided that they'd rather have the timing and went with the catalyst. Big deal, after they buy their TRE to defeat the ram air compensation and gear position indicator, most people buy an aftermarket exhaust. A catalytic converter disappears with a slip on.

I wouldn't count on anything you heard from a Suzuki rep. You only become a Suzuki rep if you're too stupid to be a Tucker Rocky rep or run a Suzuki dealership at a profit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I heard from a Suzuki dealer the K5 1K California bikes now have different cams and ECU related fixes to squelch the emissions.
I will add a contradicting story. I asked a similar question of the dealer when purchasing my 05. I was deciding whether to go to a relative's state to purchase or buy in CA.
I was told that the addition of the EVAP and related equipment were the only differences between bikes. I never mentioned that I was thinking of an out of state purchase.
I guess it's time to pay the parts man a visit and check some numbers. Double

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Yep, like I said this is only what I've heard, and I agree nothing set in stone especially from a dealer. But it is a possibility there are some differences other than the EVAC.

As MrMW mentioned people will change things out to make the bike work the way it should for performance, if that interests them. That is a given.

Until I get a hold of the K5 factory service manual, I won't know a whole lot about the new bike. I guess not to many if any reading this board have had enough experience with the K5 to know for sure. Time will tell.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The service manual doesn't show much other than the EVAP for CA and a catalyst in the muffler for Europe. Cam wear specs are listed as one. The tech manual only shows one spec for lift and timing. I believe the only way is to check the parts manual for different cam and ECM numbers.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
The service manual doesn't show much other than the EVAP for CA and a catalyst in the muffler for Europe. Cam wear specs are listed as one. The tech manual only shows one spec for lift and timing. I believe the only way is to check the parts manual for different cam and ECM numbers.
Interesting and probably convincing enough, but....

Do you have the actual K5 manual in book form? It wasn't available last time I checked on Thursday morning from the dealer. It would also help to have the parts list and microfiche.

The PDF versions are usually not complete manuals, but may indeed list something relevant.

The K2 750 PDF was well short of the original factory service manual, when I compared them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
PDF versions are usually not complete manuals, but may indeed list something relevant.

The K2 750 PDF was well short of the original factory service manual, when I compared them.
I don't have a 05 paper to compare my PDF version to, but the 03 PDF is exactly the same as my 03 book version. Both PDF's were from the same reliable source. The 05 is a JAN 05 version. It could have been revised since then. The only way is a trip to the dealer and scope the parts manual. You sir, have definitely aroused my curiosity.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
PDF versions are usually not complete manuals, but may indeed list something relevant.

I don't have a 05 paper to compare my PDF version to, but the 03 PDF is exactly the same as my 03 book version. Both PDF's were from the same reliable source. The 05 is a JAN 05 version. It could have been revised since then. The only way is a trip to the dealer and scope the parts manual. You sir, have definitely aroused my curiosity.
Maybe I had a bad PDF version that was missing pages. I don't know how any dealers have the K5 service or parts books, since I've called a local shop here in Oregon and they claim they have nothing to work with for even the basic parts except for last years bike.

·
Banned
234 Posts
lies. Dealerships are all supplied with factory manual booklets. It shows them what's new and how to fix new technology incoporated into the bikes - especially the motor.
I beleive they also have acces to suzuki tech site for any problem they encounter on any bike.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
lies. Dealerships are all supplied with factory manual booklets. It shows them what's new and how to fix new technology incoporated into the bikes - especially the motor.
I beleive they also have acces to suzuki tech site for any problem they encounter on any bike.
2005 Service Manual is not available as of a few days ago. Not even the service shop had them yet here in my area. Call Ron Ayers Motorsports if you don't believe me, they don't have them yet either, they also don't have their microfiche for the K5.

The Technical manual of scheduled changes was out before the bikes even were delivered that isn't the same as the Service Manual.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know how any dealers have the K5 service or parts books, since I've called a local shop here in Oregon and they claim they have nothing to work with for even the basic parts except for last years bike.
Over the years, I have come to expect lagging parts and info from Suzuki. Well, I will find out on Monday. Like you said, time will tell. My 05 still has a stronger punch than my 03 , emissions or not . No complaints from this old boy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just returned from the dealer. I verified with my own eyes. The computer parts manual lists only single part numbers for the ECM , camshafts and exhaust. I am satisfied that for California the only difference is the addition of the EVAP and related parts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.