Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is involved and how difficult is it to buy a bike from canada and bring to the united states? and is it more or less?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Its a pain.... want the LE model, buy the black/silver and paint the silver black. Easy and minimal cost. Plus I heard there is only 100 to 150 coming so its going to be tough to get the fastest/best color combo EVARRRRR offered.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It cost less. Making your bike legal isa different story. Not worth it.
I think i've copied and pasted this message three times now following your posts...so here it is again

A lot of people keep saying its going to be cheaper to buy the bike in Canada, this simply is not true...look at the exchange rate, the US dollar is not nearly as strong as it has been in the past. Our bikes up here retail at $14,999 where as in the states they are $10,849 which in CDN funds is roughly $13,400....factor in shipping and any duties you'd have to pay as well

Some things are cheaper to buy up here, however in this instance with the current situation of the US dollar combined with the higher MSRP of the Canadian K5 1000 it just doesnt work in this case.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yeah. Making it legal is a big deal. Lets see. What did I do when I bought my 00 zx9r back in 00. Oh yeah I remember. I did nothing. That cost alot of money.

The us and canada bikes are the exact same bike. Only thing different is the gauges.
If you go to canada to pick it up you need a letter from suzuki of america stating that it meets us epa noise and emmisions standards with the bikes vin number on it. Their are stickers right on the bike that says it meets us epa noise and emmisions standards. On my 00 zx9r it is even engraved into the stock exhuast, but I guess that is not good enough. The only thing that you need to do and mine stated this on the letter was to change the gauges. The canada ones have kmh only. The letter states that you need to put the us gauges on it that have mph. When I took mine across the border I just told them that I just had to push some buttons on the gauges and it reads mph, but I don't know how to do it. My friend did the same thing when he brought his 00 R1 across the border and they let us across both times. You also need to show them the bill of sale or owner ship papers to prove that you bought the bike and did not steal it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I think i've copied and pasted this message three times now following your posts...so here it is again

A lot of people keep saying its going to be cheaper to buy the bike in Canada, this simply is not true...look at the exchange rate, the US dollar is not nearly as strong as it has been in the past. Our bikes up here retail at $14,999 where as in the states they are $10,849 which in CDN funds is roughly $13,400....factor in shipping and any duties you'd have to pay as well

Some things are cheaper to buy up here, however in this instance with the current situation of the US dollar combined with the higher MSRP of the Canadian K5 1000 it just doesnt work in this case.
You are correct. Before this year it was cheaper to buy in Canada because the exchange rate was up to like 1.50 now it is 1.20. In 2003 My dealer in Canada was selling GSXR1000 for $9200. that included importing it into the States. He can not do that price now because of the exchange rates. I have bought my last 5 bikes from over in Canada. My dealer delivered them all to my door in Michigan. The dealer took care of the customs. You would only have to pay your state sales tax when you register the bike in your state.

Hope fully the exchange rate will change by next year. Because Canada always gets better color choices.

·
Premium Member
41,722 Posts
I bought my bike 1K cheaper in Canada then I could here. There is NO problem getting it legal here. That comment sounds like it was spoken by someone that doesn't live in the US and purchased a bike in Canada...

·
Registered
108 Posts
no doubt, back in the day..hell even last year it could very well have made sense to buy in Canada.

Let me guess..you were dealing with Power cycle out of Windsor? just a hunch...

as far as the exchange rate I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the CDN dollar continues to climb

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
no doubt, back in the day..hell even last year it could very well have made sense to buy in Canada.

Let me guess..you were dealing with Power cycle out of Windsor? just a hunch...

as far as the exchange rate I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the CDN dollar continues to climb
Yes it was Power Cycle. I have bought 5 bikes from Iggy since 2000. It is the best dealership I ever delt with. I would buy from them even if I were paying the same price as a bike here in the states. It is hard to put a price on Customer Service, but it is worth a lot to me.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Well. I did not factor in the current exchange rate. I guess the prices will be about the same now or negligable. honestly though, i doubt you can do this with cars. The prices are ridiculoursly in favour of canadians. I remeber this detroit sales man getting busted for buying up used cars in canada and selling them in the states.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts