Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys was wondering if i could get some advice?
i just sold my '89 1100 (i know its ancient)
i have two options right now.
'02 with 25000 km's
or '02 with 600 km's (thats right not even 1000km yet)
the first one is at a dealer the second is a private deal.
both will cost me approximately the same.

here's the problem, the dealer is trying to con me into thinking that the bike with 600km is not worth it due to the low mileage. he figures that if the bike has only been ridden 600km in 3 years it will have problems with corrosion in the fuel tank and engine internals.

anybody think there is any truth to this? or is he trying to spook me into buying his bike.

by the way the 600 km bike starts right away, sounds normal, revs normal, and is so clean it looks like it has just come off the showroom floor.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
swashman said:
hey guys was wondering if i could get some advice?
i just sold my '89 1100 (i know its ancient)
i have two options right now.
'02 with 25000 km's
or '02 with 600 km's (thats right not even 1000km yet)
the first one is at a dealer the second is a private deal.
both will cost me approximately the same.

here's the problem, the dealer is trying to con me into thinking that the bike with 600km is not worth it due to the low mileage. he figures that if the bike has only been ridden 600km in 3 years it will have problems with corrosion in the fuel tank and engine internals.

anybody think there is any truth to this? or is he trying to spook me into buying his bike.

by the way the 600 km bike starts right away, sounds normal, revs normal, and is so clean it looks like it has just come off the showroom floor.
Private deals might be a little more risky unless you and a buddy know your sh#t and can judge a bike just listening and looking it over real well. It's a tough call. The dealers I would think have to be a little more forthright and having a legit bike, but they can gouge you with higher prices. But who knows anymore these day's sometimes you get a good deal and sometimes you don't.

You just have to investigate the bike to be sure it's legal and it's what the owner claims.

Personally I buy new bikes, I know not everyone can or wants too but man you know the bike is 100%. I don't think I helped any but hope you make the right decision....

·
Registered
329 Posts
I somewhat agree with the dealer. It's not a car were low milage is always a good thing. A bike with low miles could very well have alot of problems. ie seals gaskets, tank liner. Bikes that dont run much tend to spring leaks. just look under any old harley. Sportbikes are made to be riden, and riden hard at that. Also I have a 2001 that looks perfect but I ride the shit of of it. I have 17500 miles on it. The one your looking at could have a new display only showing 600km. but to be truthfull if it were me I would spend a little money on a checkup and buy the one from the private seller. Dealers always try to fuck you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Take the Privately owned one to a Dealer (not the one who has the other bike) and have them check it out for you.

If no other dealer is possible - then just get it and ride the shit out of it. Don't baby the bike, it was designed to ride like a crazed ape (the engine loves it).

Maybe one of the mechanic guru's on here can give more info about the corrision thing, I'm not qualified to say, but I think that is 100%
and he just wants you to buy his bike and not the other one.

Smart thing would have been for the dealer to congrat you on your find and tell you he would do a service on the bike and make sure everything is running good.
He would have just gained your trust and you would keep going back to him for whatever and possibly buy a bike from him in the future.

Fact is he is just trying to make a buck like everyone else.
Get the bike with less miles and you will be happy

At any rate
on your future bike

·
Registered
284 Posts
Unless the dealer is offering you some kind of warranty included with the purchase, then the 2 bikes are in the same risky "used bike" kind of field. If that's the case, then I'd take the private bike to a mechanic to get checked out and buy the private one (make sure you check the VIN on the private one).

If there is a warranty being included with the purchase, and you said they're both the same price, then get the dealer bike.

I'm no so against buying from private party. There are good deals to be had as long as you get some pros to check the bike on your behalf. My 02 1K has only 3000 miles on it, but I've broken it in properly and revvvved the living piss out of it at the track!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts