Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys was wondering if i could get some advice?
i just sold my '89 1100 (i know its ancient)
i have two options right now.
'02 with 25000 km's
or '02 with 600 km's (thats right not even 1000km yet)
the first one is at a dealer the second is a private deal.
both will cost me approximately the same.

here's the problem, the dealer is trying to con me into thinking that the bike with 600km is not worth it due to the low mileage. he figures that if the bike has only been ridden 600km in 3 years it will have problems with corrosion in the fuel tank and engine internals.

anybody think there is any truth to this? or is he trying to spook me into buying his bike.

by the way the 600 km bike starts right away, sounds normal, revs normal, and is so clean it looks like it has just come off the showroom floor.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Get the bike with less miles..as long as it wasn't a race bike,wrecked ect..

Take a real good look at it before you buy..

Ps.I had a bunch of 89-92 GSXR's still kinda like them!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The bike with the lower milage sounds good, find out how it was stored when not being ridden , why is he/she selling it (probably scared the shit out of them) have someone who KNOWS bikes take a good look at it. If it was raced for 600 kms, you can thank the person responsible for properly breaking in your bike!!! Thats how I broke mine (gsx-r 1000k2) in.And believe me she even runs stronger than some of my friends who have the same bike.

As for mister salesman.......he just wants to sell his bike!!! <font color="red"> </font>

·
Registered
134 Posts
I always go for the low mileage when buying a bike, but check to see if the previous owner stunted or raced on it. If so, have a trusted friend or mechanic take a look at it. Private dealers usually don't have a problem letting you have someone take a look at it, especially if they're really trying to get rid of it. Also, possible corrosion if it's sat up that long without being properly set it up for long term storage. Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ask the guy for a car fax on the 600 km (don't know if that is available on a can. bike) but I would bet on a 02 there is a reason it only has 600 km like he changed the gauge assembly ...I would be carefull....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts