Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is K9 1000 with 38,800 miles........was heading home Saturday night from riding all day and low beam and high beam went out. Checked fuses and bulbs on Sunday and everything was fine.

So I read a few threads on here about checking the starter switch wires because they come loose and sure enough I found out today the yellow wire for the headlights came undone.

So do y'all think its worth soldering the wire and hoping it doesn't come loose again or should I just buy a new switch?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Soldering is like a 5 min ordeal. Maby had cold joint? Maby not the correct term. Shitty spot. Try it. If it doesn't work. Then buy one. .02 ;dunno

·
I can count to eleven
462 Posts
If going to solder make sure to get some rosin to clean it too
And a good quality iron. You dont want to have an iron just hot enough to melt the solder but not hot enough to do the job, sitting on the switch too long. You'll end up melting other parts of the switch.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
HMM.... You solder before ,or first attempt? You can't let it move once it's molten. If you haven't fried the switch. Prob could still be saved.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HMM.... You solder before ,or first attempt? You can't let it move once it's molten. If you haven't fried the switch. Prob could still be saved.
Im no expert or anything i have soldered wires before with success. But this wire has been a bitch.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Was a thread on soldering. The OP started ,and was quickly debunked. Lots of good info tho.... or spike that bitch n order one. ;dunno I always try to fix first. Plus it's already broken.....so have at it...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will give a few more tries with solder iron. If i cant fix it i will just order the switch! :banghead

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,701 Posts
You might try taking it to a local television repair shop. They ought to have the soldering skills to quickly do it. It looks like a $5 - $10 job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts