Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the opportunity to buy an '99 750 SRAD with some work on it. It has crashed quite softly resulting in the total damage of the topfairing(headlight and tacho o.k.), left seat fairing and some scratches on the left side panel. I've also listened to the engine and it seemed to me quit o.k. If I buy it i'm planning to install the 2001 seatframe and fairing. Are there any objects/things I have to look out for with this particular (crashed) bike? (I now own a '93er 750) 'cause i don't have to much experiences with this type of bike.

ErGoDyNe1

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
when my bike went down, although it looked visually like it would fix up easy, there was more to it.

you say the headlight is ok, well so i thought too, the mounting lugs at the rear snap out meaning a bodge job to fix or a complete new light assy.

no frame damage ? check for equal bar movement left to right, mine has loads more to the right now as its bent the aluminium stop on the frame front. Also, one of the radiator lugs was bent and snapped off requiring some welding. the fairing bracket bent into and dented the frame just under the ram air intake also.

wheels ? mine rode and felt fine and even looked straight. but when i spun em they were both like 5 or 6 mm buckled both side to side and radially.

sub frame should be fine.

as you can see, i've had a fucking knightmare with this crash so check them things but hopefully it'll be ok for yer.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
good advise dan uk

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
i always start off by checking the steering bump stops located at the neck of the frame...see if those are bent or damaged...thats usually how you can tel how bad the crash was and if you should check the frame and front end for damage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I've already checked the aluminium stop at the front and there was no sign of wear on it. I will check that headlight, fairing frame and wheels again. There was also a sign on the dashboard that said :check with an oil-sign. I did however check the oil level before i started the bike. Is that normal? And the right intake tube at the fairing was gone, the air coming out of the frame-airbox smelled a bit strange. Any ideas, I'm really in to this bike, but don't want those huge extra costs....

ErGoDyNe1

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
that 'chec' sign is the fuel injection.

the oil light flashes then anyway. not related i dont think.

it could be that the fuel pump was still priming, the kill switch was hit, stand was down and in gear etc

it started fine then i shouldnt be to concerned, unless the warning light illuminates during running at any time. then i'd be concerened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts