Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Dude Abides
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend’s father has had this gun for 40 years and it has had very little use. They know I am into guns so they asked me if I want it.
It’s an Ithaca M1911 A1 and judging by the serial number that I looked up I believe it’s a batch from 1944 that was sent to an English port. Everything appears to be original from the slide, barrel and all the way to the sight. The manufacturing stamps appear to be correct too. He wants $800 but I am sure I can get it for $700
Buy or don’t buy?

Attachments

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Sights aren't original... Those aren't exactly milspec :biggrin

Looks to be in really nice condition, though :)

·
The Dude Abides
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went ahead and purchased it yesterday and got it for $600. At home I took it totally apart and everything looked very nice and correct (except for the rear sight)
From what I have determined it's a Colt 1911 frame with a Ithaca slide. I also understand from the serial number there was a shortage in 1943 at the Ithaca factory so they used Colt frames (Mine is 1111723)
The Armory stamps are correct and the GHD stamp is there too so is a Colt receiver. All the springs and other item appear correct too from the documentation I have found. Either way for $600 I figure it was a good purchase for a 1911 so I am putting this one in the "Win" column!

·
17,010 Posts
Well I went ahead and purchased it yesterday and got it for $600. At home I took it totally apart and everything looked very nice and correct (except for the rear sight)
From what I have determined it's a Colt 1911 frame with a Ithaca slide. I also understand from the serial number there was a shortage in 1943 at the Ithaca factory so they used Colt frames (Mine is 1111723)
The Armory stamps are correct and the GHD stamp is there too so is a Colt receiver. All the springs and other item appear correct too from the documentation I have found. Either way for $600 I figure it was a good purchase for a 1911 so I am putting this one in the "Win" column!

Nice buy....:cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts