Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another mod to add to the stickys :cool

1st off you may ask why bother. Why not just upgrage to a newer fork/brake combo?

reason is cuz I already invested in some nice Brembo caliper adaptors to fit ducati 4-pad brakes, and no way am I gonna take a dive on a great mod... but I still want gold forks, and the black lowers blend with the caliper adaptors perfectly :D

So you think it's a straight swap? Hardly! Here are some fun problems I encountered:

The upper tube diameter is 50mm = great. The lower tube diameter is 55mm = SHIT! The lower triple clamp diameter on gixxer triples is 54mm. What I did was carefully stretch out the lower clamp by shimming spacers in the clamp gaps and use lots of grease, then slowly slide the busa forks in and tap em a bit with a rubber hammer. Not a big deal, just do it slow and lube em up and you won't scratch them. They'll fit nice and tight...

This leads to the next problem; The increase in tube diameter is enough to offset each fork to mess up your front axil alignment. The solution is simple. Take the axil nut/threaded-spacer thing and flip it around, then install the front wheel. Tighten the axil clamp bolts on the nut/threaded-spacer side and tighten the axil, then loosen the bolts. This will now allow you to tap the axil back and forth until you get the front wheel in the perfect spot to line up with your brake calipers. Once you got it then tighten all the axil clamp bolts, install your brakes, and you're good to go.

The busa forks are also around 1/4 of an inch shorter, but have around 1/4 more travel... This worked out for me cus I raised my bike with my last suspension and was going to drop it a bit anyways.

Now I just gotta make a front fender, or chop up a busa one... I will post more pics tomorrow. It's late and I need to sleep...

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a question, wouldn't it be easier to just bolt the bottom tree as well and use the correct bearings? using the right wheel, rotor and brake combo it sounds like a bolt on. I may want to do this later on because the forks on my 750 are stock.

e

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If the fit is that tight on the lower tree, you might have a problem with binding the fork. Be carefull with that.

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Not the front wheel, the fork itself.

If the clamp does not fit correct, it could pinch the outer tube in such a way that it will slightly deform the tube and it will no longer be round or pinch it in such a way that is makes the inner slide bushing drag on it.

Just somthing to think about

John

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I had a busa lower tripple on my 750srad for a while, brought the bike with a twisted front end, had spare forks but the lower tripple was going to be more difficult to fix so i put the busa one in with .020" or .5mm copper as a sleeve
worked fine for more than a year, then eventually straightened the srad lower and put it back in.only reason was there was no steering stops with the busa lower and it seemed more work to fit some as just repair the original.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I have a question, wouldn't it be easier to just bolt the bottom tree as well and use the correct bearings? using the right wheel, rotor and brake combo it sounds like a bolt on. I may want to do this later on because the forks on my 750 are stock.

e
This is the way to go. The offset for the triples is the same and the busa uses the same bearings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.