Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. If a bus and k5 come out of the crate both with 178 chp and are limited to 188 mph top speed. one geared high,one low, 100+ lb weight difference, 1000 vs 1300 displacemment, bus being the most aerodynamic least drag bodywork made. which one hits the speed limiter first??

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Shouldn't this be in the squid farm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Everyone is posting 05 vs busa, without mods the busa doesn't stand a chance, without mods it cannot beat a 03 with less hp, this I know

·
Registered
27 Posts
The top speed is not limited. Sure you can only see 299kmh or 188mph but the real speed could be higher. Or have I misunderstood? All the japs have made a deal that 299 or 188 is the highest speed what you can SEE (magic word).

·
Registered
565 Posts
The top speed is not limited. Sure you can only see 299kmh or 188mph but the real speed could be higher. Or have I misunderstood? All the japs have made a deal that 299 or 188 is the highest speed what you can SEE (magic word).
pretty sure there like 8% lower then when it says 188 heard it somewhere in this forum. so maybe like 174- i dunno but you get the picture.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If I leave on a bus from LA to San Francisco at 8:00 am and my wife leaves Bakersfield on a train for San Francisco at 8:45, who will get there first???

Seriously can anyone out there help???

·
Registered
27 Posts
pretty sure there like 8% lower then when it says 188 heard it somewhere in this forum. so maybe like 174- i dunno but you get the picture.
Yep I know the difference between speed and the real speed. I just ment that if you put a turbo in your bike and the real speed is... lets say 358mph you still can see just that 188mph. Do you agree with me?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yep I know the difference between speed and the real speed. I just ment that if you put a turbo in your bike and the real speed is... lets say 358mph you still can see just that 188mph. Do you agree with me?
well i guess but 358 is crazy but i get it

·
Premium Member
73,234 Posts
i didn't know buses were that fast, or came in a crate for that matter. must be a big ass crate.

oh, you meant a BUSA... sorry.

with equal riders on stock bikes, i think the busa will get to top speed first, since it is easier to launch hard and get on the gas harder earlier.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So you want to kill yourself, If you think you can do it, add Two teeth to the front and remove three from the rear. Your speed indicator will show 186 while you will be doing more around 220mph.

At this speed your front will barely be grazing the ground and the rear will be spinning because it's trying to push you through the wind. It would help if you made sure the wind is at your back. Any crosswind at that speed will be Fatal, and a gust from the front will lift the bike off the ground.

Buy good leathers and a really good life insurance policy, and don't forget to put me on it. Better yet, I will pay for your policy as long as I am the beneficiary and you can borrow my leathers.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
So you want to kill yourself, If you think you can do it, add Two teeth to the front and remove three from the rear. Your speed indicator will show 186 while you will be doing more around 220mph.

At this speed your front will barely be grazing the ground and the rear will be spinning because it's trying to push you through the wind. It would help if you made sure the wind is at your back. Any crosswind at that speed will be Fatal, and a gust from the front will lift the bike off the ground.
This is the K5 of which you are speaking of right now I assume right?

Nick Slick actually looks pretty stable topping out at 231 on his Busa.
http://www.nickslick.com/nico/movies/O-231MPH%20BIG.mpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep 05 1K, Busa has different aerodynamics as well as greatly increasd weight.

I'll stick to the GSXR 1000, It has a much better power to weight ratio.

Who needs to go 200 anyway. As it stands now not even your police helicopter can keep up with the unmodified GSXR1000

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fellas... We are forgetting one important factor... The busa has nearly 100 foot-pounds of torque. True it is heavier, but, it is more aerodynamic, and has more torque. Torque is what gets you going, horsepower is what keeps you going. Though horsepower numbers may be similar, the busa's torque will get it to the speed limiter quicker.
Riders being equal, the busa is easier to launch from a dead stand still, and will have the advantage there. You will have to baby the 1000's throttle too much trying to keep the front tire on the ground to put all of it's power to the ground. Remember. I am talking stock suspension and gears.
On the straights, I have 158.06 rwhp, and did roll-on runs with two brand new stock busas this past weekend. They would creep ahead by about 3/4 of a bike length, then, they wouldn't go any further. I couldn't come around them, and they wouldn't walk away from me once they initially pulled ahead...

BUT... If I got the jump on them, they were unable to come back around me...

I love my 1k to death, but, if the bikes were completely stock with the speed limiters removed, the busa's aerodynamics, and torque would probably have the higher top speed.

·
Banned
564 Posts
i normally do not street race but i had to prove a point this past week. my bike is a stock k5 with a ti exhaust. no mapping what so ever since power comander hasnt released them yet. the busa's (2) have full exhaust(1 yosh,1 akro) air box mods,velocity stacks,bmc filter,pc3usb's,custom map and -1 on the front sprocket. both bikes have been dynoed at over 175hp at a repectable shop with a dj250. since my bike is not lowered we decided to go from a 2nd gear kick. on both bikes i told them to hit the throttle and i would chace them down. both bikes seemed to jump off a little since they hit the throttle first and then by the time the k5 was into 3rd i had passed and pulled another 6 bikes going into 4th. at 160ish i decided not to go any further as i was not pulling any more and the busa's was not making up any ground. both bikes were equal in each race we tried. one busa owner weighed in about 190lbs and the other 240. the k5 runs very good but you would have to have one slammed to compete with a busa from a dead stop. i built both busas so i know exactly what was done to them. i think with a map in the k5 it would have pulled a little more but i have yet to dyno the bike to find out what its making. please dont flame me because i like to roadrace and do track days. i really dont like dragracing but i was just trying to prove a point to a few of the local busa owners in my area. my bike is set up to run corners and will never be lowered or stretched out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts