Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Burress sentence to harsh?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones opinions? I personally think that was a little harsh. 2 years is something they give an armed robber! :lol He had to kiss kid pregnant wife and young son goodbye as he was led to prison today, in tears.

Who thinks it was harsh, not harsh enough, or perfect?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Too harsh, but he's still an idiot. If you're going to carry a weapon then at least do it properly...geeez I mean he's lucky it didn't go off and blow his dick off or kill somebody.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A little to harsh, I mean...he didn't hurt anyone but himself and I understand the law is the law but 2 years is a lot. Yes, he is an idiot, I feel sorry for his family. Maybe the court is sick and tired of these idiot athletes messing up so bad and wanted to make a example of him...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I feel for him, bbbbuuuuutttt he didn't follow the laws for carrying legally, wasn't properly secured, had no currently valid license to carry in any state, was in a night club. Fact is he plea bargained three counts down to one, so he already got off lucky. He also didn't seriously injure someone, that used up all his luck he had left. I say an irresponsible gun owner got what they deserved. I feel for him, it sucks, he didn't try to have it happen, but follow laws and common sense and it never would have happened.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You know that even if you have a full concealed carry permit your not allowed to bring your handgun to any business that serves alcohol....so even if he did have his one from florida that expired in 2008 it wouldnt have mattered....dont bring it in the club (leave it in the car)

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know that even if you have a full concealed carry permit your not allowed to bring your handgun to any business that serves alcohol.
Not true in all states. Here you can bring it into, but have to have under a .02 BAC to carry.

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
unlicensed to carry,discharging a firearm that could have possibly killed someone else, and the other laws he broke. Id say it was pretty fair if not a little to lenient

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
25,271 Posts
The minimum in NYC for illegal gun possession is 3 years. Sounds to me like he got lucky.
No, it's 24mos mandatory and these mandatory sentences or stupid. When a judge can't even overrule it something is wrong. That needs to be changed. I think he will serve about 20mos or so and while that's long it's nothing compared to if he had hit someone innocent instead of his own leg.

Bottom line is if he were a responsible gun owner (well, as responsible as you can be while breaking the law) we would never know about it so he fucked up and deserves to be made an example of. Stricter punishment for gun related crimes means less criminals/idiots on the streets which helps the 2nd amendment rights so it is what it is. I feel it's long but it sure beats people wanting to make more laws that aren't being enforced so I would rather see the laws we already have enforced.

Sad part is he will be 33 +/- a year when he gets out so who knows how many serviceable years he has left. As odd as this sounds I think we'll have a good idea how much he will have lost when he gets out watching Michael Vick over the next season or two. If Vick has lost more than a step I don't see too many teams willing to take a risk on Burress considering the similarities and we haven't seen what a 30+ year old player does once he's been incarcerated for an extended period of time.

Innocent people - 1
Irresponsible gun owners - 0

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
25,271 Posts
Not true in all states. Here you can bring it into, but have to have under a .02 BAC to carry.
What state are you in? Far as I knew there were NO laws on BAC meaning it was zero tolerance. If you have a situation where you have to discharge a firearm from a concealed position and you have ANY BAC you are in a world of shit. Is this something new or are you sure of the .02 statement?

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What state are you in? Far as I knew there were NO laws on BAC meaning it was zero tolerance. If you have a situation where you have to discharge a firearm from a concealed position and you have ANY BAC you are in a world of shit. Is this something new or are you sure of the .02 statement?
Read the minnesota gun laws, here is a rough 2003 copy, the only change is the BAC level. Look at MN laws under the stickies in the Gun forums.

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/NR/rdonlyres/00002cd9/zthmusksqxbwnxilxwguuhubfqovjpbm/ConcealandCarryBrochure.pdf

·
Professional Baby Maker
17,741 Posts
a big shot of nyquil and you might be over the .02 :lol

There were also reports I read somewhere that the DA had offered him around a year or less in the beginning (I want to say 3 months jail + community service, and other shit) but Plax thought he could beat it and turned down the deal.

He got what the law stated so in that aspect he got what he deserved. Is the law dumb with a minimum sentence...yup.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
25,271 Posts
a big shot of nyquil and you might be over the .02 :lol

There were also reports I read somewhere that the DA had offered him around a year or less in the beginning (I want to say 3 months jail + community service, and other shit) but Plax thought he could beat it and turned down the deal.

He got what the law stated so in that aspect he got what he deserved. Is the law dumb with a minimum sentence...yup.
I think initially the DA was going to offer him a lighter sentence but the law doesn't allow for that since it's written with a required minimum prison term. Stupid. As much as I like severe punishment I don't like judges not having the ability to do their job.

·
Professional Baby Maker
17,741 Posts
I think initially the DA was going to offer him a lighter sentence but the law doesn't allow for that since it's written with a required minimum prison term. Stupid. As much as I like severe punishment I don't like judges not having the ability to do their job.

that and the Mayor and other higher ups were pushing to make an example of Plax. :hammer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts