Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '86 750H get used for a 120 mile a day commute to & from London. 80,000 miles and not one breakdown
-until Christmas Eve that is
. Riding to work in the rain, it started to cut out on two cylinders, so I stopped and sprayed a tin of WD40 over it, all to no avail. Got to work (on 2 cylinders!) and find 2 & 3 cylinder downpipes are cold. Concensus thinks that the coil is burnt out
I dump the bike in the garage at work, and train it home.

Now, do 2 & 3 cylinders share the same coil(my manual does not give any indication of this)? If so, i have a few 12v twin lead coils lying about in my garage-can I fit one of these (I'm no electrical gehius, so excuse my ignorance), or do i have to buy a Suzuki replacement
?

Thanks for your help-and help me keep it on the road-don't want to use my '86 1100 as a commuter, and am only just fixing up my GPz 750 as a backup commuter

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Yes, it sucks when they break down in the rain.

The 2/3 are shared as the 1/4 are too.

If you can't find a stock coil, DYNA coils are worth the investment. The grey ones and put the 8mm wires on it.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I have a set of stock coils,like new $10 a set plus shipping..Just to let you know..Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
$10 US...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
E-Racer

I would like to take them off of your hands for $10 (at least I can have them spare). as I am in the UK I have no idea of the shipping cost, but it cannot be that much.

Please e-mail me so details can be sorted. Thanks.

[email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to "kidnapp" this thread
but could someone tell me more about the advantage on Dynacoils? If you have a standard engine, it couldn't/shouldn't do any performance-boost, or am I wrong? If there are so many advantages, what do they cost?

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I just sold a new set With new wires,For $80,They help the bike run better by having a hotter spark,and help burn more gas in the chamber..

Just my 0.02

[ 12-30-2002, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: e-racer ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
stock engine, with an ignition system in good condition, you'll get zero performance improvement with aftermarket coils.

in my own experience, i've gotten longer life out of dyna coils than the suzuki oems. that plus the fact that the dynas are less expensive, and the fact that you can use standard automotive ignition leads, is why i used them on my old gsxr's. only downside was that they wouldn't bolt up to the stock locations since the dynas are substantially beefier.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Mine bolted right in,On my 88 750 and my 92 1100..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A quick update-got a secondhand coil from a fellow owners club member here in the UK
-put it on, and bingo, it fired up immediately

There is also an upside to this-for months she has been "pinking" when snapping the throttle open, like I was using low grade fuel, or had a carburation problem

Doesn't do that now, and she goes better than I can remember. Goes to show that coils can take time to die, and not all prtoblem have their roots where you expect them to

1 - 12 of 12 Posts