Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Function over F0RM
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the people that skimp on buying an actual copy of these items and burn them...you are dipping into consumers pockets. Prices go up and we pay for it. Spring an extra $12 for a CD, $19 for a DVD, and wait one year to get a video game at $20.

If you really like Josh Groben or what the hell ever you listen to, buy it so he gets some cash. Sure he might get 25 cents of that $12 sale, but you are helping everyone out.

Or buy the DVD so our movie tickets don't go up to $20 each, so I can take my family out to see The Incredibles.

And last but not least, buy the dam video game. This is half the reason SEGA got out of the console business with the DreamCast. I collect video games, not CD-Rs.

Collect do not burn.

·
Banned
12,040 Posts
You have no clue what you are talking about -

Your method for measuring economic conditions is so far off base.

·
Function over F0RM
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ratm_905 said:
Thats your opion, and thats fine. But I think you may be on your own on this one.
I knew or know I would get flamed, I started this because someone mentioned that they are waiting to get GT4 burned. And that is what lead to the post. I think that the CD-R generation helped destroy the SEGA DreamCast. Shit, I may be wrong, however we have to pay for it some how.

Someone prove me wrong and I'll shut up. The burning effect has to dip into our pockets somehow.

·
Banned
12,040 Posts
performula said:
I'm sure it has an influence on prices.
Not really - There is a possible short term price hike, but an increased price will only MAKE MORE people circumvent the "legal" way to acquire these items. This hike in price will end up costing the companies more then a drop in price (in this case a drop in prices will bring in a lot more income.) Remember when CD's were $8.00? I do - and everyone was still a millionaire - are the CD's made out of gold now?

Right now the consumer is saying "prices are too high" for those items. They are UNWILLING to pay the prices, so they get a good that is satisfactory for their tastes for a cheaper price.

(this is dumbed down a bit) Demand for these goods are clearly ELASTIC which means that a small raise in price causes a change in demand away from the good. The record companies could ONLY get away with a price hike if the demand was inelastic - that means that consumers are not sensitive to price changes.

Right now the prices are above what people are willing to pay - THEY NEED TO MAKE THE CHANGE

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Proof? Prices where rising before burning technology existed. Take the technology away and prices would still be rising.

Gaming companies, musicians, and movie making companies spend gobs and gobs of money trying to be the best or be the first to do this or that....that's why you have increased prices....not because of burning.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Its called inflation...technology is a sign of the times. I bought a whole new setup just so I could burn CD and DVD's. I'm sorry you can't take the family out to the movies (if I had something to do with it), maybe you should consider a new career. Not flaming you man, just my op.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
I burn because I can, not because I dont want to buy the dvds/software. 95% of the dvds I have I would not have even thinked of buying. I am a big renter because I do not like paying $20 for a dvd so before I even got a burner I hadnt bought a DVD in like a year. Now that I have a burner I am supporting the enconomy because I am buying hardware and media, still supporting Sony studios, just not through the purchasing of their music/dvds but through their hardware and blank media.

If burners didnt exist then I wouldnt buy the dvds or music anyways. See, I am helping the enconomy.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I burn because I can, not because I dont want to buy the dvds/software. 95% of the dvds I have I would not have even thinked of buying. I am a big renter because I do not like paying $20 for a dvd so before I even got a burner I hadnt bought a DVD in like a year. Now that I have a burner I am supporting the enconomy because I am buying hardware and media, still supporting Sony studios, just not through the purchasing of their music/dvds but through their hardware and blank media.

If burners didnt exist then I wouldnt buy the dvds or music anyways. See, I am helping the enconomy.
I agree with you completely. I refuse to spend $20-25 on a single dvd when the price to make the dvd and case is cheaper than making a vhs and case or about the same. I personally think the price is high...now before someone tells me it's because the movies are more expensive to make and yadda yadda yadda, I know this but they get advertising money in the movie which offsets the cost. Anyway because of burners my rental rate has gone way up! so i'm putting more money in the economy that way plus putting money into the economy with hardware / software upgrades and buying media, disk printer and printer ink. Either way I won't pay $20 for a dvd unless it's one I truely like. Don't get me wrong there are dvd's I buy, Simpons Seasons on dvd have all the originals and alot of movies that I watch all the time, just not the ones that you watch once or twice and forget about.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Exactly, I wouldn't either. 20$ for a movie or Cd is too much. You can drop thousands in a collection, and for what?? I have no pity for the Musicians or Movie stars, they are already Rich. If I really like a small Band or MOvie I would purchase it, but even then, thats few and far between.

I burn movies I rent, that I probably wouldn't buy, and I download alot of Music, and make Cd's for Bands I wouldn't buy, and I also help by introducing freinds to music they wouldn't hear normally, and alot of times they become hooked, and if they are in town I'll go to a show.

100 Blank Cd's at home and 50 Blank DVD's..burn baby burn

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am just so sick or hearing Sheryl Crow and all of those stupid people complaining about people copying thier music. Give me a break your a money hungry multimillionaire. Besides who listens to your crappy music anyway.

I also copy music and DVDs because I'm a badass too !!!

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
To all the people that skimp on buying an actual copy of these items and burn them...you are dipping into consumers pockets. Prices go up and we pay for it. Spring an extra $12 for a CD, $19 for a DVD, and wait one year to get a video game at $20.

If you really like Josh Groben or what the hell ever you listen to, buy it so he gets some cash. Sure he might get 25 cents of that $12 sale, but you are helping everyone out.

Or buy the DVD so our movie tickets don't go up to $20 each, so I can take my family out to see The Incredibles.

And last but not least, buy the dam video game. This is half the reason SEGA got out of the console business with the DreamCast. I collect video games, not CD-Rs.

Collect do not burn.
I think I own somewhere near 100 original dvd's and 60 or so xbox games. I'll download a few here and there thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Not to mention some of the crap that I own that will never get watched that padded someone pockets!

Funny thing though - over the Christmas holiday I heard some Green Day on the radio, and I went out and bought the CD.. I probably would of just downloaded it, but it was on sale at Circuit City for $10 and I figured that was a fair price to pay for it. The price is the whole thing in my opinion. I still have a few boxes full of VHS tapes that I want to buy on DVD.

Like the Die Hard series. I think I paid $70 for the three tape deal many, many years ago. I did get lucky and picked each DVD up at CC for $7.50 a piece! Hell of a deal!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Geez, these days there is so much crap out there. Who in thier right mind would pay $15 for a CD with 2 decent songs on it? That's retarded.

I will go out and buy the CD and/or DVD if it's worth it.

And, FYI Chicken Little, the sky isn't falling, read the theory of supply and demand...

The reason why so many artists bitch about downloading is because they don't invest thier money like they should. Dumping $100k into a $50k truck is silly. Anyone could easily live off of the interest of $1 Million, hell, most of us could live off of half that, but these retards make millions each year, and then they bitch about not making enough. My favorite was when Metallica took on Napster, and they even admitted in the liner notes that they used to go over to each others' house and copy the records onto tapes so they didn't have to buy 'em...

Trey

1 - 19 of 19 Posts