Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just doing a little buffing on my new paint job, and the shine is unreal. The only problem is that I started to see a couple of spots where the paint has worn thin. The thinning is mostly on edges or raised spots, and very small. Is there anything that I can do besides taking the parts off and repainting them (not gonna happen, as I've put like 30 hours into the paint job at this point.) Is touch-up paint a good solution?

Also, since the paint is apparently thin in some places, will the paint job be durable? Or have I wasted my time on a paint job that will only last 6 months. It looks great though.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I spray at least 6 coats of sealer/clear on top of a base coat. then wax it and buff the crap outta it. did you get that buffer.? what size did you get how'd it dop.??

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't use a buffer--good thing I didn't or it would have taken off more paint. It shines up like glass real easily just by hand buffing it a bunch of times. Shine is not the problem--thin paint is. I guess it was a learning experience. I just did my tank, fender, and right side panel today, and put 5 coats of clear on. I just wish I had done that to the rest of the bike. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
what are you using to get the high shine .??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey man I tried to im you back and dont know if it went? Got a wierd error thing. Anyway just brush touch those areas. You will hopefully be the only one to notice them. Your paint job should be fine. Edges dont get as much paint as the rest of the area so dont worry. Put up some pics I would love to see it. Also dont go crazy with to many coats of clear. More is not always better. To much clear and it will explode when it gets chipped. Now days with all the tech. they have on paints and stuff it is alot different from the old laquer days of putting mass coats of clear on. Looks wise three coats is just as shiney as five.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, folks. I will get some pictures up as soon as I can. Maybe my wife will be able to resize them so that I can post them.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and by the way. I used Maguire's swirl remover to get the shine. In most places, the shine is flawless--no swirls or scratches, and like a mirror. I tried two other compounds first, but they left scratches and made the paint look cloudy. That Maquire's stuff is amazing!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Meguires is great for finish, 3m is the best for cutting though....Glad she's coming around for ya bro. get them pics up....Happy 4th to all....

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
no doubt be safe today for sure. I live around alot of drunken hispanics who like to blow off guns...well I do it to !!
ne ways get new paint pics soon wanna see the bike.
BTE when I spray 6 clear its 6 coats of light spraying with the pint gravity feed paint gun on a compresser
results are always flawless

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. I will take pics on Tuesday. I just resprayed an area of the side fairing, and--get this--resprayed the top panel of the gas tank..with it still on the bike. I masked all but a symmetrical area on the top of the tank, north of the curves, and covered the rest of the bike with sheets and newspapers. Then I laid down some brilliant coats within the masked area. I resprayed the tank because, on the first attempt, I let the clear run a little thin in this area, and then wetsanded through a little of it during finishing. The tank was flawless except for this medium sized, L-shaped cloudy spot. I thought I could live with it, but wouldn't you know I was up the next morning respraying it. The new paint looks great. I guess now the trick will be to blend in the new paint with the old. Have to wait a couple of days though. The new paint is like a millimeter thicker than the old. Anyway, I promise to come through with the pics after I finish the new areas. Happy 4th!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
when I sanded my tank down to bare metal after the wreck.
there was 8 coats of different colors not to mention primer...etc. imagine that. tok me three 1/2 hours to get through all that shit. oh my it looked like a (mutherfuckin everlasting gob stopper) litteraly brilliant colors of yellow, blue, burgandy, black/pink< this was the first color 8 in all i think. were the original colors black strippeed &pink.?? I think one guy called this the Van Halen edition. lol. you know the little circle in front of the gas filler I think it was for two fillers on some don't know why. but thats where I started when I had that top circle down to bare metal, it was flush with the rest of the tank.... maybe 3/16" talk about some major prep work I mostly used a cup wire brush to remove it with out lots of sand marks if they get deep they're a bitch to get out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts