Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a trick for removing broken Ti bolts from a wheel? I have broken the heads off 3 bolts on my rear 5.5" wheel. I have tried and failed at removal with vice grips, saws-all, drilling, heat, EZ-Out (which i broke), pliers, hammer, and my teeth.

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
257 Posts
If all else fails any decent machine shop should be able to use an EDM machine (Electro Discharge Machining or somewhat) to literally burn the bolt out. I think it usually runs about $25 or $40 a bolt. Not cheap but cheaper than a wheel.

Matt

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt,
I called the local shop here in Cupertino, $300 to EDM the 3 bolts. Tell me there is a shop up there in "Oaktown 357" that will do it for less? I will make the 45 min drive.

E

------------------
88 Slingshot!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hmm, I don't know many shops personally that do good cheap work, you might ask on the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup, there are a fair number of hobbyists there with suprisingly capable shops and recently some guy was tanking about his EDM machine. They might be able to hook you up with someone or give you some tips.

The only shop I've got personal experience with is Tito's Machine Shop on San Pablo in Berkeley (don't have their number handy). They seem to do good work pretty cheap, and if they don't have an EDM they might have some ideas who would.

You might also just try soaking it in Jesco or Naval Jelly or a similar rust-disolving chemical, I think a lot of titanium bolt sticking is due to corrosion between the threads, though I'm not positive about that.

Good luck,

Matt

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt,
Thanks, I will do some calling.

p.s. it's the factory threadlock that really does it. Ti is light and strong, but brittle as hell.

E

------------------
88 Slingshot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts