Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i just received my forks from koolaid, thanks again btw, and i start working on the bike and i realize that the left steering stop is broken of the frame! Is there anything i can do? is it OK to drive without them or is there some kind of after market bolt on stop? I'll post pics if you guys want. Ugh I'm very stressed lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
You're potentially ok to run without a steering stop, but the amount of steering angle will be limited by your wrist hitting the tank or some part of the opposite handlebar hitting the instrument cluster. (That would explain why my bike has a steering stop broken off and a dent in the tank on that side). Don't know of any non-welding repair alternatives.

·
10,467 Posts
Broken steering stops are a common mod actually. Not desireable, but common. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of repair alternatives available for it. The steering neck is cast and it is thin, TIG welding it is an option, but a lot of people won't want anything to do with it because it thin, cast, and anodized. You can have some stops welded on to your headlight bracket which is steel, or you can use a 93-95 clamp and bolt some stops into the bottom of the frame. If you are going to go that way then you might as well cut off and file down what remains of the old stops.

But, before you break out the grinder, drill, and any other highly destructive tools, one question... How bad are they? You got a photo? If they are still attached and functioning you may just want to leave them alone. Let us see how badthe damage is.

·
Registered
203 Posts
my stop is broken off as well(left side) i've been riding that way for a while with no problems, my other 85 the stop was broken off(left side too) and i made a piece and
got it tig welded on. i had the bike completly stripped and the frame stripped of its clear coat before it got repaired.

·
10,467 Posts
Well, since yours is a 2nd gen I'm not sure if you can weld some tabs on to your headlight frame but I don't think so. On a first gen you can do that because of the way it mounts to the frame, but on 2nd gens they are different. Maybe you could take it to a welder and see what he has to say. Maybe he can fix it for you, might as well check on it before eliminating it as a possibility. I wouldn't weld it myself, but then I don't weld for a living, somebody that does is going to be better at it than I and might be able to fix it no problem. If that doesn't work then you can start thinking about other alternatives.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh well i appreciate all the info, i'm gonna finish the front end work and see how it is driving and probably ask the guy i got fixing my sub frame to see if he can weld something on there. Also does anyone have a good way of jacking up the front end other than a front or triple stand?

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
A GOOD welder, or even a bad welder for that matter, can repair that or fabricate a piece and weld it on!
Truth be known though...You rarely touch the steering stops!
Usually only when parking the bike.
If the repair becomes more unsightly than the damage, i'd leave it alone!

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
to get my front end off of the ground I used some ratchet straps slung over my weight bench. I have a motorcycle jack, but didn't want to take the exhaust off to jack it up, so that just worked out to be easier. I think Ballz or someone else has done the same thing using a beam in their garage/shed.

Keep us updated on your progress. Sorry that you're running into problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeh i've been hearing a lot of poeple say its no biggy without em..and thats a good idea kooliad i'll be trying that tomorow hah, if you dont hear from me call 911 i'm stuck under the bike thats fallen on me

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
heck maybe you could even drill a hole where the stop used to be. then get a dowel pin and beat it in the hole(dont drill the hole to small) and use that as a stop. i cant exacly see what the piece looks like but in theory it would work

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
In "Theory" yes...In practice, No!
Just be cognoscente of the missing stop when you turn the bars to that side so you
don't nick the tank with the switchgear and you'll be fine!
You could fabricate a steering stop with some flat bar stock then finish shaping it once it's been welded up. For the trouble involved (the front end would need to be removed to weld the underside) your probably better off just leaving it alone!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Well... the factory put them there for a reason. You might only need it 1% of the time. But if you ever get into a nasty tank slapper, you'll wish you had them both. I have used a shorter-than-stock dampner on a racebike and that wouldnt allow you turn the bars 100%, that would act at a stop. Plus with the dampner, you prob wouldnt get any tank slappers.... Oh, and there is a reason they call them 'tank slappers', as that is what the bars are slapping the hell out of. I had a friend that broke his thumb between the clipon and the tank, and it still dented the tank.... I would do something, and not just leave it... but its your bike man...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
racer what aftermarket damper did you get? i'm most likely gonna replace mine anyway so that would be a good fix

1 - 20 of 23 Posts