Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT:How did I manage to spell broken wrong :scratch

As the title says the mount broke any suggestions other than buying a new motor mind you I found this out after finishing the rebuild.

I brought it back from this for those of you that remeber.

TO this and now the damn mount

·
Registered
20 Posts
Find a experience welder who welds aluminum. See their take on that, might fill in and tap some new metric threads out .

·
Touches wangs, because he touches his own
4,510 Posts
THe only thing that comes to mind is putting the screw on there with teflon tape wrapped around the threads. Then get some JB weld or equivalent, and patch it up. Let it dry, then unscrew the screw. Only way I can think of fixing it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
THat is a really easy fix man,

if you were close i would just do it for you

It basically consists of filling it (sort of) trying to stay out of the middle as best you can.. and then you use a tap and make it the size you want (with drilling it out before obviously)

you prob dont know your way around a welder so you need to take it to some places and see if they can do it... they key is gonna be to not do tooo much at one time... its a slow procces but it will work fine

and NO!, one bolt will NOT work

·
Registered
588 Posts
THe only thing that comes to mind is putting the screw on there with teflon tape wrapped around the threads. Then get some JB weld or equivalent, and patch it up. Let it dry, then unscrew the screw. Only way I can think of fixing it.
I'd go for this quick fix first. Then if that doesn't work then weld it. Drill it, rapid tap that shit. Should be easy. If you fuck up, you can always do it all over again lol

EDIT: I thought maybe Brocken was an aftermarket brand that I never heard of. :lol

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd go for this quick fix first. Then if that doesn't work then weld it. Drill it, rapid tap that shit. Should be easy. If you fuck up, you can always do it all over again lol

EDIT: I thought maybe Brocken was an aftermarket brand that I never heard of. :lol
LOL! Brocken! it sounds like it fa sho!

i would disagree with the quick fix...

that is unless you want to stop and look down and see your WP leaking while your going to work or some shit..

dont half ass this one.. the heat on the block will not work good with even JB weld... believe me, i have tryed similar things liek this and JB is good stuff, but it WILL probably NOT work for a long term fix...

do it right the first time and then never worry about it again... the bike is too nice now to be dealing with Ghetto rig fixxes :banghead

BTW, you have to be able to tourque that thing way down, one tight screw and one half asses screw WILL not do the trick on this one, some stuff, that might be fine, but not on a two screw WP.. it just wont work..

do it right!!!!!! if i lived by you i would weld it up for free for you just to not see you try to JB that shit

·
Registered
46 Posts
exactly.

i wouldn't jb weld it, although i have fixed radiators by jb welding them before.

i would take it to an experienced welder and have him weld it up.

·
Premium Member
6,254 Posts
easy fix man

as long as u got a nice new oring on the end and ur pump is in there snug u will be fine

id do what a few said about putting a bolt in it and jb welding around it and removing the bolt even one good bolt WILL hold it in without any problems just dont crack down on it too hard

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
easy fix man

as long as u got a nice new oring on the end and ur pump is in there snug u will be fine

id do what a few said about putting a bolt in it and jb welding around it and removing the bolt even one good bolt WILL hold it in without any problems just dont crack down on it too hard
That is one possiblility I just don't think the bolt will come off of the JB Weld I am considering using a threaded metric post and JB Welding it in there and using a nut on the other end instead of a bolt.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,515 Posts
You've got lots of material left in the cast standoff. Drill in another 1/2", tap it, install a stud, JB weld it in. Then just put a washer and nut on after you install the pump. If it doesn't hold, the electric pump idea would be my second choice.

I say use a stud because of the friction when you go to install a bolt. If you use a stud, all it will see is the pulling force and most of that will be in the new threads. The JB weld will just give it some more strength and build up the mating surface.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You've got lots of material left in the cast standoff. Drill in another 1/2", tap it, install a stud, JB weld it in. Then just put a washer and nut on after you install the pump. If it doesn't hold, the electric pump idea would be my second choice.

I say use a stud because of the friction when you go to install a bolt. If you use a stud, all it will see is the pulling force and most of that will be in the new threads. The JB weld will just give it some more strength and build up the mating surface.
Thanks again Geek

·
Professional Baby Maker
17,741 Posts
Wow, been a little while bro :cheers Good to see the rebuild went well.

I'd personally go with the re-weld and then tap it method. That way you know that it will hold for sure. Peace of mind is worth the extra effort :cheers

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah it has been some time and I have also been very very busy I have a few guys looking into welding it so hopefully I will know the extent of what needs to happen soon. :cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts