Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Yes sir, I'm dealing with it aswell. Got most of the rear wheel assembly in, I finally decided 100% on the 98-06 katana wheel. Here's some more pics.

Pulled the smaller bearings and spacer out and pulled out a Honda bearing with a 20mm ID and the right OD. Then took and pulled the 20mm ID bearing spacer out of the 96+ GSXR750 wheel and cut it down to the same length as smaller ID Katana spacer.

Next pic shows the height difference between 98-06 Katana sprocket carrier and the original 88 GSX-R1100

But if you flip the sprocket over it gets closer.

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
This may help someone down the road I used a big pipe or conduit cutter

Heres all the bearings I was able to scrounge up around the shop with the carriers and what spacers I have as of today.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would be cautious of using the cush drive height as a reference point. What is important is from the centerline of the wheel out to the sprocket mounting surface. That's what you want to match. For example, I have 2 wheels I'm sorting out. Both cush drive "heights" are different. Also, from the centerline of the wheel out to the cush drive is also different. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Centre the wheel first. Then I would get the brake side sorted then move to the cush drive side, Line the chain up and that will tell you what you need to do to your front or rear sprocket/cush drive and spacers. There's a lot of variables. You may need to move the rear sprocket in or front sprocket out. May need to machine the outside of the cush drive or maybe the inside and it's spacer then have to trim the rubbers down etc

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thank you for the your advice this is the first time I've ever tried to swap rear wheels out on a metric bike. I will keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
I appreciate your help aswell, I'll be trying to mount it today sometime. I think I have all the spacers and correct bearings, even though I really rather have KOYOs but I'll eventually swap them out once it's all sorted. I need to get a exhaust bracket built and install a couple of riv-nuts to hang the R/R passenger peg/exhaust bracket while I'm messing with her today. If all goes well I'd like to get her back off the lift and take her for a spin. Gotta double check the front brakes. Probably being overly optimistic but that's what I'm going for only if everything goes well. I'm thinking her being a 88 model and came with a 4.5 rear I can take off some and add that same amount to the other side, like I said may be a little optimistic. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
When making custom parts, I have started the practice of marking, with an engraver, type and dimension, ie. custom spacer for 88 GSXR --x, dimension. To positively ID. items. And noting in my log books. My memory is slowing fading.
I have numerous special tools that I have no idea what I made them for. 😅
ID, greatly helping the next owner.
Also OP. can you decode [email protected]%@[email protected] . [email protected]%&@. I'm having trouble reading your [email protected]#ing post. 😂

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Lmmfao, yes sir all that garbage is supposed to be katana. I was trying to be politically correct. I ended up using the original 1988 GSX-R1100 sprocket carrier on a 98-06 katana 600 wheel a honda spacer that was the same width as the original 1100
for the left side and made another spacer for the right side out of what was left of the GSXR 750 wheel spacer. It ended up being 11/8" long, front sprocket is off a late 90s model GSXR750 with the original spacer behind it. It looks to be pretty well centered still need to check it with my high tech alignment tool. 2 8' florescent light bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Ran into a little problem with the rear brake caliper, it was hitting the wheel when using the original caliper and mounting bracket because of the width and diameter in the center of the wheel. So I got a (2001-05 1200 Bandit caliper bracket) and used the (600 Katana's bigger brakes disc), the brake disc that I had on it was off the late 90s GSXR750 wheel because it matched the shorter original 1100 caliper bracket. That dropped the caliper down far enough to clear the wheel. I'll post a update when I get it on. Got to get some other stuff done first.

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)

I'm hoping to be doing this soon. Still needing some filters and replace rear master and check out the fuel tank. I could always use my I.V. tank and strap it to frame somewhere. Oh I almost forgot, a friend of mine gave me what looks to be a early 90s 600 motor, I used the alternator off it and swapped out the gear with the one on mine and it's charging it's ass off. Another thing crossed off the list.

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
Got the rear brake disc swapped out, used the 98-06 600 Katana disc instead of the
late 90s GSX750 disc. Took the original 88 GSX-R 1100 rear caliper bracket off and put the 1200 Bandit caliper bracket on. Replaced the 1 1/8" spacer with the original 1100 right hand spacer. The Bandit bracket is about 5/16" wider then the original and a little longer so it rides on the bigger disc right and the caliper doesn't rub the rim. The picture below shows the
difference, the disc in front is the late 90s brake disc and the one behind it is the Katana disc.
20210325_042959.jpg

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Rear brake master is toast so I'll have to do something about that, thought the reservoir lid screws were my only problem, wrong again. There's got to be a good one amongst all the junk ass motorcycles lying around here. Gotta check GL1200 down the hill or maybe one of the Yamaha's just have to see. Dang thing is fighting me tooth and nail.

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
That's right! Keep on keeping on lol. At least I got front brakes. Last time I rode a bike without rear brakes it was a old 750 4, piled a bunch of rags on the battery to sit on, went hauling ass around the house was going to slow her down a tad before flying down the drive way, tapped the front lever and the damn caliper locked up and down she went sliding across the back yard. My wife at the time thought it was hilarious.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I remember when that 750 4 first came out . Beautiful bike. 😍 (for a Honda)

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
Yeah my youngest uncles first street bike was a cb 350 right after his older brother, 3rd oldest uncle got him a 76 750 4. Both were left at our place way out from town, I learned to ride street bikes sneaking off on their bikes. I thought that 750 4 was baddest thing on the planet. Till I went to the Suzuki shop in town and test rode a 79 GS1000 E, I was 17 and it scared the living shit out of me. I was hooked, a few days later I owned a 79 GS1000 L only one they had still in the crate and one of the last 79s before they got in the new 80 models and the new GS1100, wish I would have waited. My closest neighbor across the bottom got the second one they got in, it was red and man was it fast. He beat me every time I raced it. I loved that bike as much as mine.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
You need an inspection camera so you can see inside that cylinder.
Pretty sure the cylinder wall is going to be damaged

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Yes sir, I'm sure it is. But I'm not ready to do anything about it right now. A friend of mine has one when he finds it I'll post some pictures of it. If I rev it hard I get some blue smoke. I know that eventually I'll have to bore it. Who knows, a big bore kit maybe in its future along with a set of cams and some 36mm carbs.

·
Premium Member
1987 GSXR1100
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Got the rear brake problem eliminated, replaced the rear master with a 2001-2003 gsxr600 master cylinder assembly with the reservoir which is just like the original. The original brake hose was stopped up so it got swapped with one that came off a 2000 something GSXR600. The hose on the master is different but the reservoir looks identical. Flushed all the junk out of the hose and caliper then bled it good. Works well now.
Got the ignition box mounted back on the battery box after exstractin a broken bolt. Rerouted the wires a little, cut off the connectors to the main breaker and replaced those with some I got from vintage connections. The guy that started the company did so because he couldn't find the right connectors for a Honda restoration he was doing, I use there stuff quite often. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get back to the shop.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts