Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using them...any good? Can pick up a set pretty cheap,basically wanna know if they are any good...cheers.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Ive had them on my bike for a little over a year, and nearly time for a new rear after doing about 6,000kms
I have found them to be quiet good for the riding I do (or not as late)
I had a full set fitted by craig white for (I think) $425

all I can say is they are soooo much better than the stock dunlops

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
They are AWESOME tyres...
I've had 010's and 014's and these 012ss's are heaps better. They have given me more confidence to push harder than ever, to the point that I really did not know I could go around corners as fast as I have been going on track days.
I'm no A grader but i'v eground down the pegs and my boots are now toe less. I was getting on the gas harder and earlier than I ever dare on the 014's and 010's, and where the 010's would spin up, these just stuck. Mind you, after 3 sessions at Willowbank, the front tyre had a LOT of balled marks on it as if it was over heating......
They are softer than both other bridge's and have been told to expect about 4-5000 km's out of a rear.
If you do end up buying them, can you let me know what you think also ?
Si.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Not sure about the 012's, but i have been running the 002r rear and found it better then the rensport (better grip and turn in). Only downside was the middle was wearing out heeps fast.

The reports i have read for the 012ss are very good. The reports would compare it against performance tyres like rensport and pilot race and it would stak up quite well (obviously better on the road than on the track compared to the other, but still in the same league).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK....looks like they are a goer then...cheers guys,i let ya's know what i think of em when i get em.

·
Registered
497 Posts
scraping the pegs on a gsxr with road tyres!!! thats awesome! what times are you doing?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I have not really timed myself around qld raceway for fear of seeing how slow I really am......But these tyres are pretty amazing.
I've just bought me selg a old 85 model bike that i'm gunna turn into a track day bike so i can learn how to ride "properly" - and i will be asking for another set of these ss's for her if I can get 'em.....when I rode out on them, i thought - shit wat ave i done..But once fully up to temp on a track day, i was smiling like someone who just rattled off a 10.1 on the 1/4....
Got yours yet woody ? - What do you think ??

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Scraping pegs means the bike is leant a loooong way over, not necessarily that youre going fast, in fact the really fast guys i know never scrape pegs.

Arent 012ss a more track oriented tyre than 010, 014's, and most of the other tyres mentioned in this thread (except steve's mention of 002's and rensports)? Personally, I wouldnt buy anything but Pilot Powers for the street, but I dont know much about more track oriented tyres.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'm no mick doohan, not even A grade, nor probably B grade, I was jsu ttrying to get me friggin knee down, but i've had 7 ops on me right knee and it doesn't hang out the way it should.....even though I scraped the pegs, worn the fug out me boots, i still never managed to get me knee down...and yeah, I should hang off more to do this, but I cannot transfer me weight as me knees to fugged....
The rubber does give you confidence to go lower and lower though....i've not got 1mm of chicken strip on the rear, but I still do on the front, i doubt anyone would get rid of them on the front - unless they lowsided a few times on diff parts of the tyre..
Si

·
Registered
497 Posts
lol, ive never scaped the pegs on my gixxer (old k2 1000), plenty of knee down though!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive scraped the pegs on my k2 gixxer!!!!!!.....i had actually ceased contact with the bike and was doing my best superman impression....forgot my bloody cape though.Got my arse and my shoulder down too.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Hey - I never said I was ON the bike.........
Si

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I lost the front big time on BT014's on my 1000, and was no where near scraping the pegs, damage was limited to left hand side of .... everything....

one week after these 012ss's were fitted I was scraping the rh side foot peg with a fair bit to go, did not have a slide, did not have a moment - these tyres are fuggin good.....they'd touch down ever so lightly on turn 3 and then only ever lighty on turn 4 - the left hand side of the rubber still has a n inch of chick strip left onit...wonder why...fuggen left handers..piss me off....stupid dillbilly...

Cheers Si.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
That wasnt intended as a personal attack SI9, just pointing out that scraping knees or bike parts (and chicken strips) are an indication of the angle of the bike rather than speed.

My rear tyre has no chicken strips and the front strips are narrow but i know faster riders who have 5mm or more of rear chicken strips. Guess im leaning the bike more than necessary ... because im not getting off the side enough or possibly its due to me tipping in too early?

Track day slow B grader here.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
No probs - as far as track riding goes i'm still on me L plates as well - i gotta give a lot more respect to the top level racers, I can't count how many times i'm chuggin round a corner thinking i'm going really well, when an A grader or similar comes around the outside at warp factor 3......it simply amazes me.....
I did a corner and brake course at Darliton not too long ago - but was too hung over to really get anything out of it...maybe I should do it again....

Has woody got these damn tyres on yet ?

Si.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome tyre, ive gotten 8000km out of the rear and i still have some to go, i don't wheelie tho, thats probably the reason..
Ive gotten 6 trackdays out of the one set, and they are in need of replacing. The aren't good when cold, you can't wheelie when cold, and they cook on a really hot day at PI, if its 30degrees+ then they slip and slide a little, but they are very predictable, unlike michelins.

That being said, my next set will be BT-002's, IMO 10,000 km out of a set of race tyres is too much and that worries me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Loved the 012 they are a super tyre. I put a set on for a track day at PI and i just loved them! Nearly wore the front left all the way to the wall. I havnt tested too many tyres but they are by far the best i have been on. I got the set for $420.

The 014 i am not very impressed with at this point they came stock on my new bike, i think i will run her in then blow up the rear and put either powers or the rennsports on, i want to try something different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scoots how are ya mate?

How the hell did you get six track days out of one set of tyres? I had em one for one day at PI and they were only good for about another 2000km.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts