Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have removed the airbox and replaced them with pods what do I do with the breather hoses that go to the original airbox?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
put a breather filter (k&n selles them) over it, or more preferably run it into a little catch bottle (as the older gsxr's tend to like pumping oil out of the breather when running hot).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started out with the combination breather filter/catch bottle but still had oil mist all around after a hard ride (which is every ride). I custom made a breather box that included 4 individual hoses connected to a fitting on back side of each K&N. Seems a little complicated but it works great: no more oil mist and there is virtually no trace of oil in the carbs. No special tools or expensive parts were used. Email me if you want more details.
My suggestion is to start with the breather filter (very easy). Then if needed the combination breather filter/catch bottle.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Run your breather tube as far to the rear as possible, that should take care of oil mist problem. I don't know this for fact. A friend of mine (Suzuki mech) told me about this. I asked him the same question.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I've wound up changing the design of my custom crank breather box (takes up some of the space left when carb box removed). I've got the breather line from the head, plus a -8 line coming from the aux breather outlet (replaces the oil filler cap). Still getting a touch of mist, so am replacing my 1/2" id K&N with a 1" id version, plus a plate for a labyrinth internal to the box. Should fix the misting when running hard. Also, am repositioning the -8 to the exact bottom, left side of the box, so that the oil can flow back after de-mulsifying etc. The K&N ensures that the box remains clean inside as well, which can't hurt.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info,I am still trying to decide what to do but now I have some ideas it will be a bit easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts