Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered before but before I get my new '05 1K I wanted some opinions on how to break it in. I broke my '01 750 in the way the manual says to and I never had any problems. What do you guys think?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
there are as many opinions on this as there are as to which tires and oil to use. do a search, and come up with your own conclusions.

fyi, here is how i have broken in all of my bikes:

www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
100 Posts
take it easy for the first 50 miles or so to make sure nothing is gonna fall off, then ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
"Break it in, like you ride it!! I was told.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
The mototune way seems to be the way to go.
I have run 2 previous bikes in this way without incident.
Don`t take my advice thou.
Do a google search on running in prop type aricraft engines.
Anything you find on this subject on the net will offer the same advise for exactly the same reasons as Mototune offers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ride it nice and easy for the first 20 miles....change the oil & filter...then do it the mototune way and ensure that you do the engine braking!!!!!!!.......That is the way I did it and it runs great!!!!!! I broke in my 03 1000 as per the factory and had a constant hard knocking noise that the dealer told me to just ride and if it blows they will replace it?????????

·
Registered
518 Posts
Doing mine by the manual

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Go buy what u feel u like, motune is a great way for race bikes, if ur looken for long life, do it by the manual.

D

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
just a heads up, the first 20 miles are the most important miles in the life of your engine. even if you decide to break it in by the book, do not go easy during the first 20 miles. put the engine under load, and make sure that you vary the rpm constantly. after 20 miles, drop the oil and filter, and then do whatever break-in method you decide.

HOWEVER, DO NOT MAINTAIN A CONSTANT RPM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR THE FIRST 1000 MILES. this will cause the piston rings not to seat properly, and you will develop compression problems later on in the bikes life and lose power.

imo, you should do 3 oil/filter changes within the first 1000 miles of the bikes life. one at 20 miles, one at 600 miles, and one more at 1000.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered before but before I get my new '05 1K I wanted some opinions on how to break it in. I broke my '01 750 in the way the manual says to and I never had any problems. What do you guys think?

thanks!
All the Mototune preachers have something in common. They don't build sportbikes. So listen to their advice at your own risk.

Read your owners manual from front to back and break it in per Suzuki specifications. You'll be pleasantly surprised not only in performance gained but the durability and strength that comes from taking care of the engine by not over stressing and revving it too soon.

It is very important to continually load and unload the engine power, always fluctuating the rpm. Never pace too long at any given rpm. It's important to stress the engine while taking care not too over stress it. Maintain the factory rev limits within reason and change the oil and filter after the first 500 and 1000 or so miles. After 1000 to 1500 miles (second oil/filter change) put some full synthetic in and go for it. Added benefits from this method will pay off in the end.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ride it nice and easy for the first 20 miles....change the oil & filter...then do it the mototune way and ensure that you do the engine braking!!!!!!!.......That is the way I did it and it runs great!!!!!! I broke in my 03 1000 as per the factory and had a constant hard knocking noise that the dealer told me to just ride and if it blows they will replace it?????????
i dunno if you are possitive but i think he says that the first 20 miles are crucial where most break in occurs. so if mototune method then should'nt you do it from before 20 miles? at least thats what i think i read correct me if your wrong

·
Registered
565 Posts
just a heads up, the first 20 miles are the most important miles in the life of your engine. even if you decide to break it in by the book, do not go easy during the first 20 miles. put the engine under load, and make sure that you vary the rpm constantly. after 20 miles, drop the oil and filter, and then do whatever break-in method you decide.

HOWEVER, DO NOT MAINTAIN A CONSTANT RPM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR THE FIRST 1000 MILES. this will cause the piston rings not to seat properly, and you will develop compression problems later on in the bikes life and lose power.

imo, you should do 3 oil/filter changes within the first 1000 miles of the bikes life. one at 20 miles, one at 600 miles, and one more at 1000.
this is what i read! your on the ball

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't even look at the manual!
Do it like Mototune... Really best methods.
Also, there are break in methods for dyno and track run...

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts

thanks!
All the Mototune preachers have something in common. They don't build sportbikes. So listen to their advice at your own risk.

Read your owners manual from front to back and break it in per Suzuki specifications. You'll be pleasantly surprised not only in performance gained but the durability and strength that comes from taking care of the engine by not over stressing and revving it too soon.

It is very important to continually load and unload the engine power, always fluctuating the rpm. Never pace too long at any given rpm. It's important to stress the engine while taking care not too over stress it. Maintain the factory rev limits within reason and change the oil and filter after the first 500 and 1000 or so miles. After 1000 to 1500 miles (second oil/filter change) put some full synthetic in and go for it. Added benefits from this method will pay off in the end.
It is a fair point to recommend "Read your owners manual from front to back and break it in per Suzuki specifications"
It seems to me that if i unquestionably follow the oweners manual regarding break in, surely Iit follows that I should follow the owners maunals recommendations as to when I should change gears.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts

thanks!

It is a fair point to recommend "Read your owners manual from front to back and break it in per Suzuki specifications"
It seems to me that if i unquestionably follow the oweners manual regarding break in, surely Iit follows that I should follow the owners maunals recommendations as to when I should change gears.
I know that gear and rpm change seems a bit odd.

I do prefer the easier break-in method, just a preference, you guy's will do as you see fit. I have very good reasons why I prefer it but I'm not going to explain it as I believe I have before to some degree. I'll let them discover it for themselves if they choose to study apart from the MotoMan.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Yah, the manual has some stupid little things in there, but most of it is true.

Miles have nothen to do with the break in process. The break in proccess has to do with the rpm's of the motor and the load. Different parts of your engine break in at different rpm's. Lets start with your most critical part of your engine, the plain bearings. And they break in at lower rpms. Suzuki gets problems all the time from people throwen a bearing, especially stunters who buy the bike, and leave on a wheelie away from the dealership. Them bearings can be scratched with your finger, their very brital and need to seat in nice before the start racen around at 12,000 rpm.

The next part is your piston rings. Their a higher stonger grade metal, and break in more at the middle of the rpm range. Hell, for 05 they even replaced the pistons rings from hard chrome plating, to a PVD Chrome Nitride. And suzuki quotes " PVD CrNi is harder, thinner and more scuff and waer resistant with less friciton." The top ring is now "L" shaped, and they have a chamfered scraper ring, for improved sealing w/ less friction.

And finally, last up on the break in process, the valves. These things are now all titanium. And they use an oxidation process called TiO2, which makes them even stonger and more fatigue resistnant. And these break in at the high rpm's, where the smacken the seat hard and fast (what is it somthing like the valve opens and closses 83 times a second at 10,000 rpms.)

Now if u think about it like that, kinda sounds like what the manual says, first 600 nice and easy , under 6k (breaken in the plains), then take her up to around 9k or so (varying the loads of course, no steady rpm) seat them rings in good. After about a 1,000 miles or so, take her on up in the thou's, let the valves get nice a seated, so they can seal great.

So if u feel like u want to break in the harder metals first, and leave the critical ones alone, then put 20 miles on her, change the oil, and ride the shit out of it. That what the racers do right? I mean yah, they rebuild their engine ohh every race or so, but u could do that to, motoman can help yah on it even, he has obviously taken apart plenty of them.
But if u want to do it the way them dumbasses over there in japan who built your bike (and have been now for how long?) came up with, follow the manual. Not slammen on motoman, he has great ideas, just layen down to u all what i was taught. I used to argue with my Suzuki teacher, sayen motoman this, break it in like u ride it. He said fine, next time Chris is in, (the local tech rep in flordia) ask him. So i did, and that was his response, though a little more intelligent sounding then how i wrote it.

D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts