Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone actually having this done at their dealer instead of performing it on your own?

If done at dealer, what did it cost???

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
After I got home from the dealer when I first picked it up (80 miles or so) I dumped the oil and put in fresh. I'm scheduled to take it in for the 1st service on Tuesday and it has about 780 miles on the clock. Dealer threw in the 1st service for free.

·
Premium Member
73,386 Posts
i did it myself, as should everyone. change your oil and filter, check the torque on your bolts, and adjust your chain.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like there's dealers out there that are charging very different labor amounts/rates for the service. Seems like $340 is extra high, I was expecting around $2-220. I suppose priceshopping wouldn't hurt too bad since it can very this much dealer to dealer.

A break-in service is quite possibly one of the more important services your bike can get Webber. The engine oil and filter are replaced and the factory oil is removed. It is time to change that because the engine and it's internals have gone through a very intense "mating" process that results in debris material that needs to be removed asap. Also, it's the opportunity for all important fasteners to have their torque specs checked to make sure they haven't loosened, as this is the time when they are most likely to. In addition, the various systems on the bike are checked for proper operation (ie brakes, cooling, ignition, FI) It's basically a sweep of the motorcycle to make sure everything is working properly and will continue to do so. It's generally performed on all street bikes at 500/600 miles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I broke 500+ miles today and I really never babied the bike.. But I can say that sometime after if brike 400+ miles today I sware its started to change.. We where ridding some real nice back roads and at one point on a long long straight away, my frined on his Honda was a little bit in front of me so I decided to gun it and try and catch him, in what seemed like less then a second I passed him. I looked down and the bike said 168 MPH.. All I can say is last week when I tried to do that it didn't take off like a bat out of hell like that.. lol

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Is it possible someone could type up a step by step instruction manual for the service? I am 200 miles, and would like to do the service on my own, but I am new to the bike world

Andy

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
Looks like there's dealers out there that are charging very different labor amounts/rates for the service. Seems like $340 is extra high, I was expecting around $2-220. I suppose priceshopping wouldn't hurt too bad since it can very this much dealer to dealer.

A break-in service is quite possibly one of the more important services your bike can get Webber. The engine oil and filter are replaced and the factory oil is removed. It is time to change that because the engine and it's internals have gone through a very intense "mating" process that results in debris material that needs to be removed asap. Also, it's the opportunity for all important fasteners to have their torque specs checked to make sure they haven't loosened, as this is the time when they are most likely to. In addition, the various systems on the bike are checked for proper operation (ie brakes, cooling, ignition, FI) It's basically a sweep of the motorcycle to make sure everything is working properly and will continue to do so. It's generally performed on all street bikes at 500/600 miles.

I fully agree but the problem is too often many of the recommend steps for the first service are not done when bringing the bike to the dealer.

From my experience with more than one dealer all they seem to do is change the oil and filter, maybe tighten the chain and maybe adjust the cable play using the adjusters.

I do my own work as well as perform regular nut and bolt checks. I did one right after picking my bike up from its first service and found more than 3 bolts that were loose as well as two very loose hose clamps. Not to mention the spilled oil on the inside of the fairing. He service manager offer me a free oil change but I passed as I feel better doing it my self.

Even experiencing all the above I still have the dealer do the first service only to prevent any warranty issues. Some dealers believe if the first service is not done by an authorized Suzuki shop they will not honor the warranty. Not sure if it is true or not but it is not worth the risk or potential battles.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I fully agree but the problem is too often many of the recommend steps for the first service are not done when bringing the bike to the dealer.

From my experience with more than one dealer all they seem to do is change the oil and filter, maybe tighten the chain and maybe adjust the cable play using the adjusters.

I do my own work as well as perform regular nut and bolt checks. I did one right after picking my bike up from its first service and found more than 3 bolts that were loose as well as two very loose hose clamps. Not to mention the spilled oil on the inside of the fairing. He service manager offer me a free oil change but I passed as I feel better doing it my self.

Even experiencing all the above I still have the dealer do the first service only to prevent any warranty issues. Some dealers believe if the first service is not done by an authorized Suzuki shop they will not honor the warranty. Not sure if it is true or not but it is not worth the risk or potential battles.

I TOTALLY agree with you on this one. I see it first hand, from the dealership level. I am a service manager at a BMW/Triumph Dealer, and while we run a completely honest shop where we care about taking care of the customer first, THEN their motorcycle, there is a dealer on the other side of our state that is a bad seed, as you elude to. We have many, many riders travel the width of the state for service, even just an oil change. They have such a bad taste in their mouths from their local dealer, that to some, live 5 minutes from. He!!, we cookout every saturday for our customers, and these guys will even ride 2+ hours just for lunch and to hang out with us! So, caution must be used with each dealer, as every shop and their practices are different. If you find a good one, stick with it. If you have a bad experience at one that really makes you unhappy, and they don't right it for you, drop 'em, they don't deserve your hard earned $.

As for a couple posts prior to the one I'm replying to, if you're new to motorcycling and the machines, I don't recommend doing the first service yourself. Take it to a good dealer if you have one nearby, or get a friend who is knowledgable to help you. There are critical things you may pass over, and you only have one life to enjoy, and two wheels to depend on!

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts
All really depends on what you want you level of involvement with your new bike to be. Some like doing the work, others do not want to have anything to do with it.

Dealers sell product to stay in business, if you have more than one Suzuki dealer in your city... then find the one you are comfortable with.

·
Super Moderator
17,509 Posts
"Is it possible someone could type up a step by step instruction manual for the service? I am 200 miles, and would like to do the service on my own, but I am new to the bike world"

Andy

--------------------
05 GSX-R 1000 blk

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Is it possible someone could type up a step by step instruction manual for the service? I am 200 miles, and would like to do the service on my own, but I am new to the bike world

Andy

Well, you picked a great bike to start out on.

Let me get right on that manual type up for you. My fee will be $40/hr. Deal?

·
Registered
415 Posts
The break-in service is pretty much an oil change, checking the torque on bolts, and making sure that the mechanicals of the bike are in good working order. In other words, it's nothing that the average mechanic can't handle. Get yourself a shop manual if you have any questions on what exactly to do or how to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.