Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I Pick up my new 600 today. So, please clear up the break in treatment for this bike? Should I keep it uner a certain RPM for so many miles or just run it. Thanks.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
There are very different opinions on this, some swear by the "hard break in" method, which should give a bit more performance, but IMHO it can't be good for durability.

If you want your engine to last, take it easy for the first 600 miles, don't rev it out or accelerate hard but don't run it at too low RPMs either (so low it doesn't run smoothly). Then take it in for service at 600 miles or, if you prefer to do it yourself, change oil and filter and tighten everything up

·
Registered
460 Posts
For real (only my opinion but time tested) this is how to break it in. If you are trying to squeeze everything out of her, then open it up for the first 50-100 miles. High RPM's but nothing outrageous. (you'll get a tight seal)
If you are not a track racer and just want a fast bike that will last forever, go by the manual. There is a reason why the manual says what it says. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember though is CHANGE THAT OIL! If you are going to baby your bike like I did when I got my brand new 04' 750 change that oil at 50 miles, 100 miles, 300 miles, and then have your scheduled maintenance at 600 miles. The shavings left by Suzuki need to be purged. After your first maintenance your bike should be broke in. But, change that oil every time you get a chance until the next scheduled maintenance. Read your manual front to back and familiarize yourself with what you should expect as far as> Riding Temp, fluid levels, shift points, etc. The more you know about your bike the quicker you can identify any unusual behavior and extend the life of her. There are 100 opinions on this subject but make sure you have read lots of them before you chose, then make a plan and stick to it! GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well put Hathcoast...

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Keep the R's fluctuating too. Don't just cruise around a 4000 rpm for long durations. Keep them varied.

Change the OIL too!! (as everyone else has said!)

Welcome to GDC also!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts