Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok the caliber in my front brakes when i squize the brake leaver it goes out then when i release it it stays out and then i squize it again it goes out father , and not in , just keeps on doing this why ??? is this what happens when you have air in it ????? thanks

·
3,476 Posts
Sounds like a sticky caliper, air wouldn't cause what you describe. It can only go as far as the rotor though, so your brake should be dragging if the piston is not retracting. There is really nothing driving the pistons back in when you release the brakes, other than the release of pressure. This is normal. If you have a stand, try raising the front wheel and spinning the tire. Does it freewheel other than slight brake drag? If you don't have a stand, go for a cruise and stay off the front brake, then check for a temp difference of the two rotors. If the one in question is hot it's probably dragging.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
no, that's the way it's supposed to work... I assume you have the things off the bike to replace the pads or sumpin? You will have to push the pistons back in by hand to fit the new pads... easiest way is to open the bleeder screw on the caliper while pushing against the OLD brake pads with a wide, flat-blade screwdriver. Just be sure to bleed the lines afterwards... and don't keep pushing the pistons out by squeezing the lever, or you'll pop them out of the bores and make an unholy mess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts