Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
He may have learned a lesson. not holding my breath though.

Buying Chinese made levers is a gamble. Some are actually well made, but most are rubbish. The ones that my brother has, actually fit correctly on his CBR. They are as loose as the OEMs and have the same amount of travel from what I could tell.
Another guy has a set of Chinese levers on his Yamaha and I could swear they felt like they are about to fall off.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This just happened to me today, installed some cheap levers off ebay that cost $24(CNC levers) as a quick replacement. As soon as I hit around 50 MPH my front brakes fully locked causing my bike to completely skid and wobble thrusting me forward almost off my bike without even touching the lever. I was lucky enough to keep my bike up and control the skid. The front wheel was still completely locked, I had to remove the lever to unlock it. When I inspected the lever you can tell the hole where the plunger goes in is just to narrow. Ordered some FP levers today, no more cheap knock offs for me
why would you buy cheap knockoffs?? you make so much money in a week/month you can afford the best levers money can buy..... everytime you drop your bike:lmao

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also rember to line up caliper in swing arm slot. i didnt maybe a lil excited to put new angels on or maybe just a lil to high but i got ten miles and hit back brake and caliper spun around locked up high sided knocked me out. shreded last 05 750. Oh another tip dont buy cotech or any brand plastic air vent jacket yea its nice when its 100 out but when u go down and ur jacket melts into ur skin it aint so cool anymore. still have plastic melted in skin from that mistake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I might have accidentally saved myself. I ordered some cheap ebay ones trying to save money and before they arrived I came across this thread. I also saw people were making the hole on the lever deeper to allow the plunger to sit right. well my dumbass took off too much material and when I put the lever on, there was just way too much freeplay. probably a good thing because even if they wouldve worked, it wouldve been in the back of my mind and I definitely didnt want that. Im getting some Pazzos when I get some extra money. until then, the stock ones are back on

·
Registered
610 Posts
When it comes to safety,It's safer to spend a little extra on our bikes..

·
Registered
62 Posts
So much shit about ebay levers but no pics at all. How is that possible.
So many riders are using those and nobody to post pics of broken levers>??
I am pretty sure that there is some but obviously not many.
I am using one myself and have had no problems att allllllllllllll. I like them.
I am also using some other parts from ebay on my bike and I am happy.

However I would certainly worn people not to buy cheap no name tank pads from ebay/amazon. I tried many of them, none of them actually worked and I ruined my fuel tank.

·
Administrator
13,336 Posts
Let me ask why you would risk such an important part of your bike failing ???

We have had members come on here and warn of the dangers from personal experiences , some are lucky to be alive ... Which leads back to the same question , why would you risk it for a saving of $100 ???!!!

If we were talking about rim tape , a non safety issue , I would say do as you wish ... But it's not is it.

Shit like this baffles me ...

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
So much shit about ebay levers but no pics at all. How is that possible.
So many riders are using those and nobody to post pics of broken levers>??
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? The main issue isn't that the cheap levers break (although it does happen), it's that the tolerances on them are so sloppy that on some, the hole that the plunger goes in isn't quite deep enough. That means that they push in on the piston even when the lever isn't pulled and that causes the pads to drag which causes heat which causes the brake fluid to expand.

Normally that wouldn't be a problem since the fluid should just expand back into the reservoir but since the piston is pressed in, the return valve is cut off so the only place it can expand is at the calipers. That presses the pads onto the rotors even more, eventually locking up the front wheel, causing the rider to crash.

That has happened to multiple people on this forum alone as posted further back in this thread and those are just the people who realized what happened. There are plenty more who didn't figure out why they crashed all of a sudden.

We are talking about errors of a few hundreds of an inch, nothing that would show in photos - but it's all it takes to potentially kill you.

If your cheap levers work for you, great... But it is a real issue and way too common to ignore.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
Not all bikes have that hole on levers that you are talking about.
I just looked at your previous posts, see you have an 03. I've had a GSX-R from that generation too as well as several older ones and you're right, they have a knuckle that pushes in on the piston from the side.

That doesn't change anything, if the tolerances are off on that, the same thing can happen.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts