Registered
610 Posts

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think most of the problems are caused by people not lining up the master cylinder pin with the lever when installing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
In my experience, that's correct. The first install I did with the Chinese-cheapos resulted in misaligned mc pin. Luckily, the front locked up gradually, and I fudged the pin into the hole while being stuck in the middle of town traffic. Since then, I have had 3 sets of cheap levers, and learned how to properly install and test for proper operation. But I just bought a set of rearsets on eBay, and I'm reconsidering them given my size. Would suck to have one break because of bad metal mfg.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
In my experience, that's correct. The first install I did with the Chinese-cheapos resulted in misaligned mc pin. Luckily, the front locked up gradually, and I fudged the pin into the hole while being stuck in the middle of town traffic. Since then, I have had 3 sets of cheap levers, and learned how to properly install and test for proper operation. But I just bought a set of rearsets on eBay, and I'm reconsidering them given my size. Would suck to have one break because of bad metal mfg.

sooooooooo, do you mean that you know that stuff is junk but you decide to run it anyway?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You get what you pay for. "You pay 39 dollars GI, top quality" translates to crap. :nono If you spend the extra money, you get better quality.

Would you spend 12 cents for a condom advertised as "Top Quality" or spend that 2 dollars for a name brand condom?

Both of these examples could depend on someone's life.

I personally rock OEM, that's why I have two kids. :eek:hmy :banana

·
Registered
257 Posts
sooooooooo, do you mean that you know that stuff is junk but you decide to run it anyway?
Not that the levers are junk, but Chinese metal is notorious for flaws, so I worry about the structural integrity of rearsets while stunting. I don't believe that the lever issue is anything more than install error, for the majority. There are exceptions in some cases, I'm sure. But I wouldn't be so dismissive to label them all "junk".

·
Humboldt Hooter Tadaaaaa
7,419 Posts
Not that the levers are junk, but Chinese metal is notorious for flaws, so I worry about the structural integrity of rearsets while stunting. I don't believe that the lever issue is anything more than install error, for the majority. There are exceptions in some cases, I'm sure. But I wouldn't be so dismissive to label them all "junk".

i will, they're junk plain and simple :piss

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)

So the ones I've seen that galled because they didn't have bushings or I'll fitting bushings were install errors? How about the ones that hung in the perch? How about the one i personally saw snap at the pivot under normal use? How about all the ones that the plunger hole was too shallow?

And why is it these have sooooooo many "install errors" in your mind but the name brands don't? Odd don't you think considering they all work the same way in theory?

They are junk. Period.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ever seen a pile of chicken shit and notice that white spec on top of the pile? Well that's still chicken shit and so are the levers

Sent from my toaster.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So the ones I've seen that galled because they didn't have bushings or I'll fitting bushings were install errors? How about the ones that hung in the perch? How about the one i personally saw snap at the pivot under normal use? How about all the ones that the plunger hole was too shallow?

And why is it these have sooooooo many "install errors" in your mind but the name brands don't? Odd don't you think considering they all work the same way in theory?

They are junk. Period.
I just can't compare name brand, because I never owned any name brand ones. I can only comment regarding my own experience. Perhaps I've been lucky in that I haven't gotten a bad set?

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I just can't compare name brand, because I never owned any name brand ones. I can only comment regarding my own experience. Perhaps I've been lucky in that I haven't gotten a bad set?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the issues happen almost solely with cheap Chinese levers.... yet both them and name brand levers install exactly the same.

How hard is it to deduce that if two objects install the same way, yet one of the two has a disproportionate amount of issues... it ISNT an install issue :idea

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought ebay levers for my k6. I didn't have any issues with them, but it was always in the back of my mind that there are known issues with them. I'm taking them off and buying either crg or Pazzos today. I would rather focus on riding rather then worrying constantly about lever failure.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I wonder how many of these are related to the mc recall??

None. The recall has nothing to do with brakes locking up.

The recall is/was galvanic corrosion causing formation of gas bubbles in the fluid during long service intervals causing a spongie feel.

Has zero to do with brakes locking up

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
None. The recall has nothing to do with brakes locking up.

The recall is/was galvanic corrosion causing formation of gas bubbles in the fluid during long service intervals causing a spongie feel.

Has zero to do with brakes locking up
Thank you Sir! I did not know the reason for the recall.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts