Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wish I saw this thread before ordering some shortys from the slow boat from China! I thank God that I didnt get hurt!

I installed my levers Friday evening, and went for a ride Saturday afternoon. Mind you I also replaced my radiator. I hit the road and got up to 85 when all of sudden the front end dropped. It felt like I was about to go over the handlebars. I thought the engine seized. Fortunately there was no won behind me and I was able to lift the rear and front to get it on the shoulder. Once I realized the brakes locked up... I was able to disable the calibers and ride home only using the back breaks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got some levers off ebay. the same thing happen to me. I was riding and I felt my front break lock. Thank god I read this post. Im changing them as soon as possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seriously, you all think it's the lever not the installation?

I am not saying it couldn't be the lever, but of all the posts that I have read so far regarding these levers, no one ever posted and confirmed that after switch back or losing the aftermarket levers everything was fine again.

Every time someone with the front brake locking up, we got guys jumping out suggesting and claiming it's the lever, then all the sudden the original poster started agreeing to it...

Don't get me wrong though, I do agree that a lot of the Chinese (mainland China) made stuff are indeed very bad quality, so why don't you people with the Chinese levers and had the front end locked up start making a list of the eBay seller's name so that people don't buy from them anymore???

When you do that, you should also check Yanashiki as they do carry these so called Chinese levers and branded under Yanashiki. Then you look at other online companies, I bet 1/2 a dozen of these companies also carry and sell stuff from China and perhaps levers as well.... What do you do then??

So at the end, who do you really think it's supporting these Chinese manufacturers to make these cheap products? the individual eBay buyers? I think not, they do not have enough volume for these manufacturers to make these stuff and survive...

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
I've been around here for some time, and there are many on here who will vouch for my technical and mechanical abilities. I had the same problem with the top of the line ASV levers.

The problem really does lie with the manufacturers, but you can't blame them. Anything aftermarket is going to have slight variations. My situation, the barrel wasn't deep enough to allow the piston to fully retract. The tolerances at the factory were probably combined. At one end, you are perfect. At the other, sloppy. Everything in between is acceptable. What if the prototype lever was made off the low end of the tolerance to be a perfect fit? Maybe my piston was at the high end.

You can blame the installer. When installing anything that moves, you MUST check for complete and unencumbered movement. I don't care what it is. The issue is that people bolt on parts without making sure they work properly. End of story.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been around here for some time, and there are many on here who will vouch for my technical and mechanical abilities. I had the same problem with the top of the line ASV levers.

The problem really does lie with the manufacturers, but you can't blame them. Anything aftermarket is going to have slight variations. My situation, the barrel wasn't deep enough to allow the piston to fully retract. The tolerances at the factory were probably combined. At one end, you are perfect. At the other, sloppy. Everything in between is acceptable. What if the prototype lever was made off the low end of the tolerance to be a perfect fit? Maybe my piston was at the high end.

You can blame the installer. When installing anything that moves, you MUST check for complete and unencumbered movement. I don't care what it is. The issue is that people bolt on parts without making sure they work properly. End of story.
Well, I guess I can't agree with you more on this. Stack tolerances do combine for a greater tolerance range and you are right, it's not only the parts that could have caused the problems, always need to make sure that if you are putting on anything that moves mechanically, you gotta make sure it functions the way it is supposed to as well.

Sure everyone knows how to take stuff off and screw stuff back on, I guess the real issue is to let the pros or people that really know what they are doing to do the fine tuning and making sure things work the way they are supposed to.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, I guess I can't agree with you more on this. Stack tolerances do combine for a greater tolerance range and you are right, it's not only the parts that could have caused the problems, always need to make sure that if you are putting on anything that moves mechanically, you gotta make sure it functions the way it is supposed to as well.

Sure everyone knows how to take stuff off and screw stuff back on, I guess the real issue is to let the pros or people that really know what they are doing to do the fine tuning and making sure things work the way they are supposed to.
This is two threads now you ha e searched out....

The evidence far outweighs your opinion.

Do not try to promote these levers as being ok on this forum.

Consider this a warning ;)

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
Buddy of mine bought the cheapin de china the chinese levers. He showed them to me the day he put em on. I showed him this thread, and told him to get some name brand (From MotoMummy IIRC) and the day before he got the new levers, he had an incident that nearly caused him to crash. So....ya, China made cheap levers = shit.

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
This is two threads now you ha e searched out....

The evidence far outweighs your opinion.

Do not try to promote these levers as being ok on this forum.

Consider this a warning ;)
I will add to this.

Mr. Acexxon...in looking at your posts you have made it a point (even going as far as bumping an old thread) to talk about Chinese parts and how they can be just as good as the reputable brands. Even mentioning that you are a manufacturer of said parts.

This forum does not condone the selling/advertising of Chinese knock-off parts and we do not like "sneaky" vendors/businesses/manufacturers spamming the forum by posing as regular members.

So consider this your only warning. Like Joe said, do not come on here talking about how these Chinese controls are ok and do not try to bypass the vendor/business rules. You will be banned, permanently.

·
Super Moderator
15,113 Posts
I will add to this.

Mr. Acexxon...in looking at your posts you have made it a point (even going as far as bumping an old thread) to talk about Chinese parts and how they can be just as good as the reputable brands. Even mentioning that you are a manufacturer of said parts.

This forum does not condone the selling/advertising of Chinese knock-off parts and we do not like "sneaky" vendors/businesses/manufacturers spamming the forum by posing as regular members.

So consider this your only warning. Like Joe said, do not come on here talking about how these Chinese controls are ok and do not try to bypass the vendor/business rules. You will be banned, permanently.
Interesting...

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Hmmm....
Being a machinist by trade, I must be anal about parts by nature.
$40 Chinese knockoffs (Chazzos) properly installed(all critical areas checked against oem levers), properly set and properly maintained.....3 years and not 1 single issue. The anodizing still looks as good as day 1 after 30k+ miles of use.

Installation and maintenance does play a part. Levers are not bilt on and forget parts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had I hayabusa in the past with OEM levers and the front wheel started locking up. It turned out to be that the wheel bearings where so loose they were starting t fall out, causing the wheel to wobble and getting stuck in the brakes. When it comes to maintenance you get what you pay for. With my body and life depending on it I never take shortcuts.

·
Puts on Speedo and Hassels The Hoff
237 Posts
Hmmm....
Being a machinist by trade, I must be anal about parts by nature.
$40 Chinese knockoffs (Chazzos) properly installed(all critical areas checked against oem levers), properly set and properly maintained.....3 years and not 1 single issue. The anodizing still looks as good as day 1 after 30k+ miles of use.

Installation and maintenance does play a part. Levers are not bilt on and forget parts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
All i have to say is that you are one of the lucky ones. These chinese knock-offs are bad news. I dont care how many miles you put on them to be honest. Just because you are one of the few lucky ones does not mean it is OK to promote these on the forums. You may just be the reason someone else goes down due to these levers.

And just another story to add to it, when i bought my FP racing levers for my k6 my good friend whom i ride with really liked them. However, he did not want to spend almost 200 dollars on "just some levers." About a week later he bought a pair of these junk chinese ones off ebay for like 30 bucks. He was showing them off to me, saying i paid way to much for my levers, blah blah blah. I too showed him this thread, he chose to ignore and be happy about his purchase. Then guess what happened? you guess it. Front brakes locked up on him going 80+ mph. He walked away with some major road rash and fortunately that was it.

He just recently bought another bike, guess what he put on it? FP racing levers this time. Been on for months without a single issue. Dont put cheap china made aftermarket parts that are important on your bike. Eventually, it will come back and bite you.

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
All i have to say is that you are one of the lucky ones. These chinese knock-offs are bad news. I dont care how many miles you put on them to be honest. Just because you are one of the few lucky ones does not mean it is OK to promote these on the forums. You may just be the reason someone else goes down due to these levers.
Agreed 100%.

That is why we do not allow the promotion of said knock-off levers on this forum. Doing so is an infraction worthy, and if it continues, a ban worthy offense.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
45 Participants
LEKS
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing