Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i noticed at the track my brakes were squeaking a bit. then i rode my bike to work yesterday, and its pretty bad. ive never encountered glazed pads before but im thinking this may be the case. i did forget to scotch brite the rotor before running new pads though so im sure its related to that.. we had a thread not long ago that said you can sand the pads to rough them up. so can i save the pads at this point or just throw in some new ones (after i scotch brite the rotor that is)?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
sand the pads too

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Save 'em, sand the pads + the rotors. Then go and buy a second set, you'll need them in racing anyway.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Scuff the face of the pads, rotate the pads, put stop squeel on the backs, lightly scuff the rotors, and teflon lube the center pin and top plate.

Thats what I had to do to make my EBC's stop making noises.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
the squeek is normal and fine.

with the 2003 model 1k you have, the 4 pad per caliper setup allows the pads to float a bit on the pistons which braking which causes the squeel.

put a lil (very lil, like a tiny lil smudge) grease on the back of the pads.

ironically, suzuki went back to a 2 pad design because of the squeek complaints, even though they worked better

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
screw all that nonsense... simply apply a liberal amount of lithium grease to the surface of the pads and the rotors! Not only will your brakes stop squeaking, but your corner-entry speed will improve as well.

Or you could do what Poach does... don't tighten the caliper bolts. Most of the time you'll get through tech, but as soon as that flag drops... no more noisy brakes. And even better corner entry speed than with the grease method.

Shit - Do I need to tell you guys everything? Sad. And I'm a yellow-plater.

[email protected]@king noobs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts