Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 89 1100 when I got it the front brakes felt spongy and the lever would go all the way to the bar. I thought the master might need rebuilt so instead I got one from an 05 gsxr 1000. Ichecked the pads and they look good too. I also have steel braided lines. After bleeding the system twice with a mighty vac (there is no more air) The lever will still go to the bar. Its harder to pull and the brakes work better but it will still go all the way to the bar with the lever on the furthest adjustment out. Would my calipers cause this? And why? If not any other ideas?? Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
someone on another forum had this same problem. Someone else suggested instead of just bleeding the brakes as-is, he suggested fully depressing the pistons in and then try re-bleeding them as air can get stuck in behind the pistons. But as you've vacuum bled them, i guess its not the problem.

[edit]Oh and have you had the calipers rebuilt? it sometimes pays to check 'em out.[/edit]

·
Registered
37 Posts
It may be that the caliper is retracking to far, bent rotor, bad wheel bearings? can you pump the master lever up, with a few fast squeezes and releases? if so you may still have air, did you bench bleed the master first?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
the 05 MC has a bleed nipple built in. you MUST bleed at this point, or you will never get good results.

also, I strongly suggest you bleed each caliper manually 'by hand'

btw the 05 1000 MC has the same characteristics as my brembo 19x18. 19 bore and similar leverage. *great* MC IMO.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did bleed the master nipple first and bled and rebled the calipers. I did do it by hand after finishing with the vacum pump and was seeing no air. I am lost. I have never rebuilt the calipers and I doubt the previous owner did either.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did you resolve this problem?

I've got a similar problem.

I get a good lever by clamping the lever overnight, but it then fades over the next few days. I have a good lever for perhaps 1 day.

I've put a kit through the master cylinder. That worked for a few weeks, but now I'm back where I was.

I was thinking I needed to put a kit through the calipers, but the seals are no longer available.

Does this ring true with anyone? I did the back calipers a few months ago and there was no supply problem there?

I've got braided lines and the fluid is good ("for dot 3 & 4 brakes").

The fluid level isn't dropping and I did a "half" fluid replace the other week just in case some water got in. The problem still exists.

Anyone?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I will say this and its just my 2cents ,make shure that the rotors are true and you use the right break fluid !!!I dummped my bike at like 40 mph when the fronts locked up on me and pit bulled the bike (yes a very big ouch)my right arm will never be the same as the doctor says . now the bike makes me wonder when I ride it ....be carfull, My bike calls for DOT #4 and thats all I run "willward fluid" is what I am running in it now and so far no problums ... nock on wood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.