Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,171 Posts
I do it on the rear, so tire changes are easier. Getting the rear rotor into the caliper can be a bitch :D
That's an awesome idea. Rear wheel swaps are the bane of my existence.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Two other things to help rear wheel swaps...

One, flip the axle. Nut on the right side rather than left.

and get a 13/16 deep well socket, and use it to help hold the brake caliper mount in place until you are ready to push axle from other side.

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
scotch-brite = free. media blasting = not free, and hard to find someone who does it. not to mention media blasting is not necessary.
True, for most people. My tech does mine no charge, as long as I mask off the carrier and drop them off with plenty of advance notice. :D

·
Wants to blow a dude named Benjamin
808 Posts
Yeah, I filed the edges of my rear brake pads to help guide the rotor into place. When it goes, it goes much easier :)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Rotor hones are awesome, IF you have a really glazed set of rotors OR if you are making a change in pads

Since the pads do lay down a very thin layer of material on the rotors, I do try to hone the rotors if I'm swapping pads. I think having a fresh / clean surface helps the new pads put down their own layer of material.... which will work better with those pads.

But thats just if you are swapping pads. If you are staying with the same pads, and the rotors aren't really glazed / heat spotted, you can probably just throw on another set of pads and call it good. Wouldnt hurt to wipe down the surface with brake cleaner or better yet acetone...... just to make sure they (the rotors) are perfectly dry / oil free. Unless your hands are perfectly clean, its real easy to touch them and get them dirty. It may even be WORSE with mechanics gloves, since they tend to soak up oil / dirt......

*shrugs* all thats pretty anal, and may not make a different at all unless you just want the very very best your brakes can do. Dont get me wrong, I'm no AMA quality rider, I'm just anal about my brakes. Not saying I'm good enough to be able to use the difference, but..... it makes me feel better. I tend to aim for overkill on what i work on. I always try to make sure the machine is better than I am. Then, I never ever have to worry about it - I can throw the bike into a corner and know that it will carry me through it, if I have the guts to ride it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Ok so I did what you guys said...brake cleaner, scotch brite, all that. I went to the local motorcycle dealer and asked for non-chlorinated brake cleaner and he gave me some stuff called (Federated CRC) "Brakleen". So I used it and then of course decided to read the label afterwards. TETRACHLOROETHYLENE. So does anyone know if this is considered to be chlorinated or not? I'm assuming it is. Nowhere on the label does it say that it's not chlorinated. It says it has no CFC's but I think that's ozone layer stuff. Now what? What damage did I do? How do I recover?

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
1. take the rotors off the wheels

2. spray them generously with non-chlorinated brake cleaner

3. use a new scotch-brite pad to scour the rotors ON BOTH SIDES (you would be surprised how many people forget that rotors have 2 sides that need to be cleaned)

4. don't touch the rotor surface after that, hold the rotors by the mounting points while putting them back on the wheel

as for bedding in the pads, do like 5-6 slow stops using gentle pressure on the lever from about 30-40mph, and gradually increase the speed and pressure up to about 60mph and full pressure over the next 5-6 stops. you should be good by that point.
For those of us who don't live in the US, what exactly are scotch brite pads? I checked out 3M's catalog and apparently scotch brite is a range of different products. I don't think these pads are very common over here. Can I for instance use a certain grade of sandpaper instead of scotch brite pads?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
For those of us who don't live in the US, what exactly are scotch brite pads? I checked out 3M's catalog and apparently scotch brite is a range of different products. I don't think these pads are very common over here. Can I for instance use a certain grade of sandpaper instead of scotch brite pads?
This:

Attachments

·
Call me Jake
269 Posts
I don't chamfer brake pads but this makes rear wheel swaps easier. Not my pic but I do the same thing. I can't tell a difference on the rear but I wouldn't do it on the front. I don't feel like I need a third hand when swapping the front wheel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yeah, those are perfect.

:thumbup

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
16 Participants
Chrismanz
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing