Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up some Vesrah SRJL 17's and have been doing some searching for bed in procedures. I found a post in which Adam says that Vesrah's come preheated and do not require bedding. I just wanted to make sure that is true.

Also, I could not find any post on the procedures of how to bed pads in that need bedding. How do you properly bed pads that need it? Put a few miles on them prior to the track? Do the first session a little easy on the brakes? Just go out and hammer them?

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Vesrah require virtually ZERO bedding. Put em on and brake three times and you're done.

And when I say 'three' times, I include stopping at at the false grid, at the end of pit-out, and the first braking zone.

THATS IT.

If you've been using another type of pad in the past, I suggest spinning the front wheel while holding a piece of Scotchbrite over the rotor to remove any remaing older pad material.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
So with new pad you should snad the rotors first? What grid sandpaper should i use. BTW I have never thought to do this before but makes total sence.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Scotchbrite is more than enough. Sandpaper is over the top

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Here's a question. If you didn't get an effective bedding in and ended up with some glazing, are the pads junk or are they recoverable?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sand or scuff the rotors good., they brake slow and soft., then harder ., and harder till they are bedded..
Ignoring the fact that the Vesrah's don't really need bedding (eg: if I were switching to pads that did need bedding), what are the telltale signs that a set of pads are properly bedded? I'm trying to get a generalization for how to tell when the pads are bedded.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
I would run them a lap or two taking it easy on the brakes to make sure they seat properly.

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
sand or scuff the rotors good., they brake slow and soft., then harder ., and harder till they are bedded..
Ignoring the fact that the Vesrah's don't really need bedding (eg: if I were switching to pads that did need bedding), what are the telltale signs that a set of pads are properly bedded? I'm trying to get a generalization for how to tell when the pads are bedded.

you know., when the bike stops on a dime....

and Taz., sand the pads and the rotors., then put them on., they will be fine then...

and i would do at least a lap using your head to make sure they are bedded in., normally 3 times breaking on the track will do..

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Pretty much what I figured. I'm not sure I'll make it up there this weekend due to work. But a set of stock pads might be on my shopping list.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
i use this rule of thumb.

if the brakes work and i make the turn ie not out in the grass,.........they must be bedded

1 - 17 of 17 Posts