Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I don't know if you guys remember but a few days ago I posted about the brake light on my bike not working for the front brake, but working fine for the rear. Well since then, I pulled off the brake lever and checked out the switch inside. When I push the little lever in the assembly over, the light DOES turn on. SO I cleaned everything out, and put the lever back on. But it still wasn't working. So then I squeezed the brake lever REALLY tight, and it finally turned on (however theres NO possible way I could brake this tightly while riding the tire would lock, up or the bike would endo, or flip everytime if I did). It doesn't look like theres any wear in the brake lever!? I just changed my brake pads about a month ago, and last week was the first time I did my monthly check of the lights and whatnot, so it could be doing it since I changed the pads. SO my question is.... does anyone know what it is? Is it because of the pads? Is there anyway I can adjust it to light sooner? Please let me know. Thanks.
MrSlappyPants

[ 09-20-2002, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: MrSlappyPants ]

·
Registered
461 Posts
was the switch lever worn?(possible)
I think it is the new pads are too thick to compress enough to allow the switch to make proper contact.
My front brakes do not trigger the light either(since I changed the forks), so I use my back brake lightly to trigger the light, until I fix it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I've been using the back brake to trigger the light, but I just would like to know if there is a way I can fix this... any know if it's possible?!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
an even easier way to solve this is to get a new banjo bolt with a pressure switch for your front brake at the mastercylinder. I have one and it works well. I paid less than $20 for it from Street & Competition try www.street-n-comp.com

I had to buy two new connectors at the harware store to solder into the ends of the switch but it works well...and because it is activated by the increase in the brake fluid pressure and isn't mechanical it won't wear out like the current one.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that site's kind of confusing... I can't find the pressure switch anywhere..?!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I already have the dennis kirk catalog... I'll check it out. Thanks for the advise guys!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Simon,
I've found the hydrolic brake switch in my dennis kirk catalogue, and you said you have this done on your '86 750... so my questions are this.

First - what size bolt do I need coming out of the master cylinder on the switch? I have the options of 10mmx1.25mm or 10mmx1.00mm

Second - will the banjo bolt on my bike right now fit on this new pressure switch bolt? or will i have to get a new banjo bolt too? If i have to replace the banjo bolt, are they all standard for different brake lines and how do I go about changing one?

Basically, any and all details on how you did this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot man.

MrSlappyPants

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by MrSlappyPants:
Simon,
I've found the hydrolic brake switch in my dennis kirk catalogue, and you said you have this done on your '86 750... so my questions are this.

First - what size bolt do I need coming out of the master cylinder on the switch? I have the options of 10mmx1.25mm or 10mmx1.00mm

Second - will the banjo bolt on my bike right now fit on this new pressure switch bolt? or will i have to get a new banjo bolt too? If i have to replace the banjo bolt, are they all standard for different brake lines and how do I go about changing one?

Basically, any and all details on how you did this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot man.

MrSlappyPants
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you are using the stock master cylinder I believe it should take the 10mm x 1.0 pitch bolt. The hydraulic switch replaces the stock banjo bolt, so you don't need to buy another banjo bolt. All you have to do is remove the stock banjo bolt and the old crush washers, replace the stock banjo bolt with the brake light switch and use new crush washers, and reassemble. If you've replaced barke lines before this should be a simple operation. Depending on the connectors that are on the switch you might have to cut it and solder on different connectors (bullet to blade or vice versa).

Yancy

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Simon,

**** I didn't order it from S-n-C on-line, I called them on their 800 number.

**** The stock banjo bolt is a 10x1.00mm, I double checked for you.

**** It will completely replace your banjo. I bought a double banjo because I have one SS line running to each caliper from the mastercylinder. Here's what mine looks like...

and if you squint you can see it here...

Here's a switch in an R7's caliper at the bottom...it works the same way as mine...

MrSlappyPants
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You'll need to hit Radio Shack or an automotive store for the proper connectors to solder onto the wires so it can plug right into your gixxer's wiring ... that should cost you a dollar or less.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot I really appreciate the help. I'm gonna order the switch tonight.

By the way simon... how's the recovery coming along? Hope all is well. Keep us all posted.

Edit: just saw the sticky re: condition

[ 09-20-2002, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: MrSlappyPants ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
that site's kind of confusing... I can't find the pressure switch anywhere..?!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you call them they'll know exactly what you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts