Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
I think i had a thread going but i will give you a simple low down; No pictures needed

Tools Needed:
Philip head screwdriver
8mm open end wrench
1/4" rubber tube....12" or more
empty pop bottle
shop rags
DOT 4 fluid

Step 1: Wipe off your resivoir cap. Unscrew the little locking screw and remove the lid. Set it upside down on a clean shop rag out of harms way and so it will stay clean. Make sure you DO NOT get fluid on anything. If you do wipe it off immediately!!

Step 2: Look at your caliper. You will see a little nipple sticking out of the caliper, it will have a small rubber cap. Remove the cap and set it aside with your resi lid. Now puch the clear rubber tube over the nipple as to seal nice and tight and be stuck on good. Route the tube into a empty bottle or can or such. Put your open end 8mm wrench on the bleeder just below your clear hose.

Step 3: While you squeeze on the brake lever, crack open the 8mm about 1/3 of a turn...fluid should gush into the hose as the lever pulls in to the handlebar. Once your lever is pulled all of its travel and before fluid can begin to flow back into the caliper turn that 8mm back snug. Now pump up the lever a few times......squeeze it, crack the 8mm again while you are squeezing it.......fluid will flow out, when it stops again, lock the 8mm again. You will have to do this a bunch.

Keep an eye on the resi up on your bar. Don't let it go empty. When its down to about 1/4 full fill it up and keep pumping a resi or two through the line. Do each caliper this way. Should take you maybe a minute or two per side once you get the hang of it.

Last thing. Top off the resi just below the full line, install cap and lock. You want it a bit low since the cap will take up some space when it goes into the fluid. Saves you from a mess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, thanks!

So I do not have to remove all the old fluid first? I just release a bunch and add good stuff, repeat untill all the old fluid is out?

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
First off, thanks!

So I do not have to remove all the old fluid first? I just release a bunch and add good stuff, repeat untill all the old fluid is out?

Thanks again.

Mike
some of the old fluid will remain. most will come out when you undo the lines and teh res cap. just flush a bit of the new fluid through the lines. when i changed lines i tried to get as much old fluid out of the calipers as possible. replace all hardware then go througn at least one res. of fluid through bleeding to try and get teh calipers cleared. fluids cheap and to me it was wortht the piece of mind

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
I find it helpful to use a big syringe to suck the reservoir just about dry first. Then I fill with new fluid and get on to bleeding. I honestly don't even remember where I got the syringe I use (no needle, of course). By the looks of it, I think it's used for horses... you could probably pick one up at a feed store / pet supply.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
I find it helpful to use a big syringe to suck the reservoir just about dry first. Then I fill with new fluid and get on to bleeding. I honestly don't even remember where I got the syringe I use (no needle, of course). By the looks of it, I think it's used for horses... you could probably pick one up at a feed store / pet supply.
you can get one of the larger ones at the pharmacy, used for oral medicine.

·
Registered
951 Posts
You can suck the old fluid out of the resi yes, just don't go too low to let air go into the system.

Myself i just bleed it down out pumping, only takes a moment to do anyhow, and less change of fluid dripping on your bike up there. BF is nasty stuff on your paint or plastic.

But yea some of the old will remain, but the majority you will get out. As long as your lines have mostly new your set. No water no air is what you want.

While at it clean your calipers with some good brake cleaner spray. Hit the pistons good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts