Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give everyone an update on something. Last year, I posted on here about the brake fade on my '01 GSX-R600. My tuner thought it was the master cylinder. Other thought maybe lines, fluid, pads, etc... To be honest, I had lost hope that I would ever solve this little problem. I would have very significant brake fade after 6-8 laps in a race.

This past winter, I came accross something on the net (I forget where). Someone suggested to remove the anti-sqeal/dust sheet metal plates on the back of the calipers to allow more air flow. Now granted that the weather has not been very warm lately but I have had pretty much zero brake fade. They have been working like a charm!!! I'm sure many of you knew about this tip or thought it was an obvious thing to do, but it was the first time I heard about it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
yea they are normally shit canned. good that you found it

·
Registered
836 Posts
Does the above hold true for all brake pads? Yves, what kind of pads are you running?

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Does the above hold true for all brake pads? Yves, what kind of pads are you running?
dude he's saying not on the back of the pads, the metal dust shields that go near the pin to keep brake dust from the wheels. take them things out....

i have them on my bike, and i have zero brake fade, even a 16 or 18 lap race. but i aint got one of these stupid streetbikes though

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Alright clarification needed. He originally stated anti squeal /dust plates. The metal plates on the back of the pads are for anti squeal. The dust covers are a totally different piece.

Which piece is not supposed to be there?

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
I just remove all that shit - dust covers, metal plates, those round piston looking things, any rubber I find... it's all added weight. Trust me - doing so will greatly increased your corner entry speed

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Yer such a "smoker" fluffer....
yep. you obviously haven't ridden one, and if you have maybe not fast enough, or else you might not every want to throw a leg over one of these streetbikes again....

streetbikes

factory road racers

(and this is an ongoing thing between me and the rest of the dudes who know me personally and hang with at the track)

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
lol, lean you are full of em lately bro.. you sniffing paint fumes or something.
I think it's blowby past my rings...

We had a trackday this last weekend and (no shit) a Ducati 748 was pulling me on the straight

I gotta get this engine rebuilt. Quick.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Yer such a "smoker" fluffer....
yep. you obviously haven't ridden one, and if you have maybe not fast enough, or else you might not every want to throw a leg over one of these streetbikes again....

streetbikes

factory road racers

(and this is an ongoing thing between me and the rest of the dudes who know me personally and hang with at the track)
No I haven't riden one yet. I would love to throw a leg over a 250.

·
Registered
836 Posts
dude he's saying not on the back of the pads, the metal dust shields that go near the pin to keep brake dust from the wheels. take them things out....
My bad, the words 'steel plate' don't really bring to mind the thin and flimsy dust cover piece...plus I hadn't had my coffee yet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I had no clue what that thing was for. Some told me it was for anti-squeal. Some said it was a dust cover. Sorry about the confusion. I hope no one is rushing home trying to split their brake pads with a knife or something. LOL

Ok, now you guys forced me to look it up in my service manual. Here's what I'm talking about:

So they call it a spring...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts