Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has just past its 12 month anniversary so I decided to lube the chain.

Anyway, as I was applying the ArmorAll I thought I would give the brake rotor disc things a good going over.

I did the front first... BUT THEN !!!
I noticed one had fallen from the rear [email protected]?#?

So now there is only one rotor on the rear.

As I hardly use the front and do most of my breaking with the rear I think it will probably stop twice as quickly now.
As there is less force for the brakes to try and stop therefore less resistance.

So maybe it's not so bad after all

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Yup! Plus stoppies are easier with less weight on the back. If you never use your front brakes anyway, consider removing them, disks and everything, to facilitate wheelies too.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I hope you used plenty of Amorall on your seat and grips, you can't do real wheelies without it!

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
The second rotor is designed to fall off right at or very near the 12 month period. You should see one of the front ones fall off at around the 18 month anniversary. This all falls under the "Break in of your motorcycle" section in your owner's manual. Did you even read it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
why don't you just take a plasma torch to the handle bars too. if you cut enough of the bars off you would be able to turn faster

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
don't forget to cross-drill the break lines, you need a metric drill though - I think a 4mm is perfect, and 4 holes/ inch (26mm)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by gsxr313:
The second rotor is designed to fall off right at or very near the 12 month period. You should see one of the front ones fall off at around the 18 month anniversary. This all falls under the "Break in of your motorcycle" section in your owner's manual. Did you even read it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Man I didn't get an owners manual
Just some tiny black and white magazine about bikes. I used that to wipe the dip stick though for the first few months - gotta keep that thing clean

As for the brakes, I think I'll be changing to full floaters soon anyway - 'coz I'm thinkin' of taking it down the beach and I don't want to be sinking in front of everyone.

Thanks to everyone for those other cool mods
I'll be trying them sooon

Oh yeah nearly forgot... for the new discs I'll be using 80 Gig 7200 rpm discs - coz I wanna take alot of stunnin vids

[ 01-07-2003, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Zed_R1000 ]

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Originally posted by Zed_R1000:
Oh yeah nearly forgot... for the new discs I'll be using 80 Gig 7200 rpm discs - coz I wanna take alot of stunnin vids
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dude do NOT to that, you will have big problems, the rotating mass of the engine will conflict with your brake disc, the brake disc can only spin at 7200rpm (lucky you didn't get the 5400rpm otherwise it would be worse) whereas your engine is good for 10000rpm, they end up working against each other in relation to moments of inertia. I suggest getting a 10000rpm SCSI drive and using that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i've found out to save weight no brakes is best just carry an anchor from a bass boat when the corner comes up toss out hook grab and then retract so much safer and faster then those damn handle brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts