Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
21 - 40 of 375 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Interesting write up. I will try this method when I get my new (old) 600 k1. When you say:

I am a little confused, so to clarify, you open the bleeder just a fraction so there is resistance to pull the brake lever, and then you just pump away without opening/closing the nipple?(while topping up the reserviour of course)

Sorry to be a pain happy riding.
Yes. Exactly. As long as you have the teflon tape on the threads, and the hose on the nipple, there is no reason to close the nipple every time. The reason the "old fashion" way requires closing the nipple is to avoid introducing air into the system when releasing the lever. That cant happen with this method.

The bleeder works by pressing on a seat when you screw it down. If the teflon gets into the seat (the cone shaped part inside the bleeder) it can cause them to leak ever so slightly. Make sure to use only enough that it covers the threads, but not so much that it will get into the seat area
agree

MityVacs basically suck, and rarely get it done as well as a good bleeding can. It might be good enough for street use, but track use I have never had a mity vac provide fade free bleeding
disagree

and i close the bleeders wile the mity-vac is still under vacuum. if you have a vacuum on the system and pull the hose off then, well, you are going to suck air into the bleeder. think about it.

i remove the bleeder screw, and teflon tape the threads. re install the screw, and i just loosen the bleeder screw a 1/4 turn with an 8mm box wrench and then zip-tie (small zip ties) a clear hose to the bleeder nipple. i leave the wrench on the bleeder screw. pull a vacuum...then i close the bleeder screw wile still pulling a slight vacuum. no air.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Tried many different variations of how to use the mityvac.

Still prefer my variation of old school bleeding bar none. :dunno

Tried many different variations of how to use the mityvac.

Still prefer my variation of old school bleeding bar none. :dunno
theres nothing wrong with your method, but i feel that the mity-vac is much easier and i have never had an issue.

how about a pressure bleeder? do they make an attachment for motorcycle reservoirs?

Discussion starter · #27 ·
theres nothing wrong with your method, but i feel that the mity-vac is much easier and i have never had an issue.

how about a pressure bleeder? do they make an attachment for motorcycle reservoirs?
:dunno

I also, as stated, prefer to run an entire rreservoir through each nipple, or close to it, through when I do bleed....... keeps fluid fresh, and the bottle is garbage once opened anyway so might as well use it all.

Mityvac catch bottle is not large enough for that :lol

So can you just keep the teflon tape on the threads permanently, or do you change it every time?

I was also wondering, when you said attach the hose to the bleeders, does this mean run 3 hoses at once from each bleeder to the catch bottle and then run through the process?

Thanks for the help, I've always done it with the traditional method -- excited to try this out.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I leave the teflon in, but when it gets "loose" feeling, I clean it off and replace it. I do my brakes pretty damn often, so it is way more often for me than it would be for most.

As for the hoses, you can run three at once, or just move the setup.

If you move the setup though, be aware that brake fluid is corrosive, so be careful not to spill it, or drip it, and if you do clean it up ASAP.

Performed this to my bike today. Excellent way to get this done and now that the tape is on there, next time will be a breeze.
Joe, when you remove the bleeder, what do you plug the hole with while you put the tape on the threads? How often do you change the tape?

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I change the tape when the bleeder starts to feel loose again.

when I remove the bleeder nipple, I use some paper towels to soak up the fairly small amount of fluid that seeps out. Not much really is going to come out while you put the tape on there usually. It is kindof like holding your thumb over a straw with fluid in it. It wont come out.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Steel braided lines, and Carbone Loraine SBK5 pads (although OEM pads were surprisingly good).

Everything else stock

21 - 40 of 375 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.