Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
361 - 375 of 375 Posts
Do not use race pads on the street. They need heat to work, heat that won't be developed with street riding.

Hi guys I have R1 MC from crashed bike. The bleed nipple was broken in MC. Saddle of the nipple was drilled but the nipple leak :-( so I have screw with washer instead of bleed nipple. I rebuild MC kit and I have completely empty system. When bleeding I was try to bleed from banjo under MC and lever feel spongy. When I get off caliper and push pistons completely back in both calipers and pump the lever - lever feels pretty solid. Have somebody tips for how to bleed without bleeder on radial MC?

Take it off the bike and turn either the banjo (which is not recommended to constantly loosen and tighten) to the highest point of the MC. Or turn it so the fluid pickup is the highest point. From the factory, the bleeder is the highest point. Or, your cheap ass could buy a MC that isn't fucked up.....

Just found that my k7 1000 has not had the recalled MC changed, part ordered. Strange though the previous owner told me it was done. I researched this and found the letter from 2013, I didn't check further trusting previous owner, why would he say that ? Anyhow a trip to my dealer, Springwood Suzuki Brisbane, revealed this had not been done. Further research shows a pic of new MC , I don't have access to pic's on this forum yet. WARNING!!! I found that a parts dealer in the UK has peen prosecuted for selling @ 90 recalled master cylinders and sentenced to 12 months prison (suspended) Google Ebay Seller Prosecuted. Watch out.

Dealer mechanic asked me if i noticed the spongy feel on the brake lever but I couldn't answer , apart from a quick test ride at sellers house , I haven't ridden this bike yet! No rego. Hoping to get to the next track day.

I found a recall had been done on this bike. A sticker on rear shock, mount under tank, says, Recall completed, Campaign number SRC 07-04, I'm trying to find what this is. Could be ISC valve or fuel pipe.

Fail proof bleeding. ........... TRUST ME

Get some teflon tape.
Get some clear aquarium hose.
Get a catch bottle for the fluid
Get a wrench to fit bleeders (8mm on most)
Get a phillips screw driver to remove reservoir lid
Get a NEW UNOPENED BOTTLE of QUALITY brake fluid. IMPORTANT!!.
Only takes one person

Put tape on the threads of the bleeders, being careful not to get it so low on the bleeders as to get under them. The teflon tape is important to keep air from seeping past the threads on the bleeders and into the system, as well as keeping the bleeder in place while you pump the lever. The tape is one of the critical parts here. If you wish to not use tape, another option is thread sealant by speed bleeder http://compare.ebay.com/like/390486839094?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar. The thread sealant is what makes speedbleeders work really. The hose I am attaching to the nipple of the bleeder once it has fluid in it (after first pump) acts just like the check valve in speedbleeders. Since you need the hose anyway to not make a mess, the check valve is pointless. The key is the sealant on the threads to prevent air seeping past the threads.

Forget the "Pump pump pump, crack.... close... repeat" method. It sucks.

Attach the hose to the bleeders. Run that hose to a catch bottle well above the nipple you are bleeding, so you keep a column of fluid in the hose on top of the bleeder. This column of fluid in the hose on top of the nipples is very important to keep air from going back in the system

Crack the master cylinder bleeder, just enough that you still have some pressure on the lever as you pull it, but fluid is coming out of it also. pump until you get clean clear fluid out of the MC bleeder. I usually run one entire reservoir of fluid through the bleeder. I have also found that letting the lever "snap" back out helps. I am not sure why. It may knock stuck bubbles loose, or cause small bubbles to make bigger bubbles. But it sometimes helps, especially when trying to prime a new system. Re-fill reservoir and move to lower right caliper.

Tap lines lightly with something

Crack bleeder on lower right caliper (with teflon tape on it) again just enough that fluid will pass out of it, but there is some effort at the lever. Run an entire reservoir through it. Close bleeder.

tap on lines again

Repeat with left caliper.

Repeat at all three bleeders, (meaning do this TWICE at EACH bleeder) using about one full reservoir at each bleeder.

remove all hoses and catch bottles. Clean up and ride.

Trust me, you will thank me later. Assuming you dont have a mechanical issue, you will now have the most firm lever you have ever felt in your life.

Some people argue going through that much fluid is "a waste". Truth is once a bottle of fluid is opened it is garbage anyway. So with that said, might as well run it through the system to flush out old fluid and bubbles before you throw the bottle away. Once it is opened it has started absorbing water from the atmosphere and is GARBAGE
Your the man thanks bro teflon tape is a must

Fail proof bleeding. ........... TRUST ME

Get some teflon tape.
Get some clear aquarium hose.
Get a catch bottle for the fluid
Get a wrench to fit bleeders (8mm on most)
Get a phillips screw driver to remove reservoir lid
Get a NEW UNOPENED BOTTLE of QUALITY brake fluid. IMPORTANT!!.
Only takes one person

Put tape on the threads of the bleeders, being careful not to get it so low on the bleeders as to get under them. The teflon tape is important to keep air from seeping past the threads on the bleeders and into the system, as well as keeping the bleeder in place while you pump the lever. The tape is one of the critical parts here. If you wish to not use tape, another option is thread sealant by speed bleeder http://compare.ebay.com/like/390486839094?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar. The thread sealant is what makes speedbleeders work really. The hose I am attaching to the nipple of the bleeder once it has fluid in it (after first pump) acts just like the check valve in speedbleeders. Since you need the hose anyway to not make a mess, the check valve is pointless. The key is the sealant on the threads to prevent air seeping past the threads.

Forget the "Pump pump pump, crack.... close... repeat" method. It sucks.

Attach the hose to the bleeders. Run that hose to a catch bottle well above the nipple you are bleeding, so you keep a column of fluid in the hose on top of the bleeder. This column of fluid in the hose on top of the nipples is very important to keep air from going back in the system

Crack the master cylinder bleeder, just enough that you still have some pressure on the lever as you pull it, but fluid is coming out of it also. pump until you get clean clear fluid out of the MC bleeder. I usually run one entire reservoir of fluid through the bleeder. I have also found that letting the lever "snap" back out helps. I am not sure why. It may knock stuck bubbles loose, or cause small bubbles to make bigger bubbles. But it sometimes helps, especially when trying to prime a new system. Re-fill reservoir and move to lower right caliper.

Tap lines lightly with something

Crack bleeder on lower right caliper (with teflon tape on it) again just enough that fluid will pass out of it, but there is some effort at the lever. Run an entire reservoir through it. Close bleeder.

tap on lines again

Repeat with left caliper.

Repeat at all three bleeders, (meaning do this TWICE at EACH bleeder) using about one full reservoir at each bleeder.

remove all hoses and catch bottles. Clean up and ride.

Trust me, you will thank me later. Assuming you dont have a mechanical issue, you will now have the most firm lever you have ever felt in your life.

Some people argue going through that much fluid is "a waste". Truth is once a bottle of fluid is opened it is garbage anyway. So with that said, might as well run it through the system to flush out old fluid and bubbles before you throw the bottle away. Once it is opened it has started absorbing water from the atmosphere and is GARBAGE
Hello mate
Very useful info ,thank you for that.
Can you confirm if I am doing it right please ?
I attached hoses to all three bleeders (master, both calipers). First crack the left caliper slightly and pumping the lever meanwhile the right caliper and master bleeders are closed. Then right caliper and in the end the master bleeder. Or the master should be cracked too while the caliper bleeder is cracked too ?

Hello mate
Very useful info ,thank you for that.
Can you confirm if I am doing it right please ?
I attached hoses to all three bleeders (master, both calipers). First crack the left caliper slightly and pumping the lever meanwhile the right caliper and master bleeders are closed. Then right caliper and in the end the master bleeder. Or the master should be cracked too while the caliper bleeder is cracked too ?
One at a time. If you open all nipples you won't be pushing against anything. If you open them all, fluid will flow out under gravity alone, Taking any air with it, then close nipples furthest first. DONT LET THE RESIVIOUR RUN DRY.

361 - 375 of 375 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.